How to reset G120 fault over ProfiNet?

Something to check:

Note this FW4.6

In Parameter P2103.0 make sure you have 2090.7 If you are using different command data sets make sure CDS 0 is active else change P2103.x where x is the CDS active

Also do you have any logic controlling bit 10 of the control word? Because if it goes off none of the other bits in the control word will work.

send the W#16#0480

siemens WEB had provide example project with FB
Thank you. I will try it.

Siemens does have sample projects and documentation and none of the one I have seen address acknowledging G120 VFD faults in detail. All of them just say "bit 7 of VFD control word acknowledges fault" and examples just send 47E and 47F to the control word of the VFD.

Something to check:

Note this FW4.6

In Parameter P2103.0 make sure you have 2090.7 If you are using different command data sets make sure CDS 0 is active else change P2103.x where x is the CDS active

Also do you have any logic controlling bit 10 of the control word? Because if it goes off none of the other bits in the control word will work.
Yes, P2103.0 has r2090.7 in it.
I am not using different command sets.

I will keep that in mind and do some testing. THank you.

So far, what worked was:
Network/rung 1: Sending 47E hex to the VFD control word, QW344 all the time.
N 2: |If VFD fault bit is ON, I357.3| AND |HMI "fault reset" button is ON| then (turn on "acknowledge VFD fault" bit Q345.7)
N 3: |IF VFD status word (IW356) bit 0, I357.0 is ON| And (If |my Motor Forward bit is ON| OR |my Motor Reverse bit is ON|) then (turn on bit Q345.0)
N 4: If |my Motor Reverse bit is ON| then (turn on Q344.3)

So, you can control G120 VFD with sending control words, or bits of control words, or both. I guess I have to keep VFD's control word bits 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 10 the whole time for it to work.

Code:
// Always on bits
      SET   
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.Off2           // No electrical stop
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.Off3           // No fast stop
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.Enable_Op      // Enable operation
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.RFG_Enable     // Enable ramp function generator
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.RFG_Start      // Start ramp function generator
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.SetpointEnable // Enable setpoint
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.ControlFromPlc // Life bit from plc
      R     #sWrite.CW_1.CDSBit0

// Start drive
      A     #iStart
      AN    #sRead.SW_1.Fault
      =     #sWrite.CW_1.On_Off1

// Acknowledge fault
      A     #iReset
      A     #sRead.SW_1.Fault
      =     #sWrite.CW_1.Fault_Acknowledge

// Reverse direction
      A     #iDirection
      =     #sWrite.CW_1.ReverseDirection
Code is from a working G120 FB

I cannot post the entire SCL code from the Siemens library function, but this part seems relevant:
Code:
IF activate_manual_mode = FALSE THEN // normal mode
    //COPY INPUT BITS
    Control_word_bits.Bit_00 := ON_OFF1;               //Bit 1: 0 to 1=RUN
    Control_word_bits.Bit_01 := OFF2;                  //Bit 2: 0=immediately STOP
    Control_word_bits.Bit_02 := OFF3;                  //Bit 3: 0=quick STOP
    Control_word_bits.Bit_03 := TRUE;                  //Bit 3: 0=cancel pulses    
    Control_word_bits.Bit_04 := TRUE;                  //Bit 4: 0=RFG is set to 0; 1=RFG follows setpoint
    Control_word_bits.Bit_05 := TRUE;                  //Bit 5: 0=freeze RFG, 1= 1=RFG follows setpoint
    Control_word_bits.Bit_06 := TRUE;                  //Bit 6: 0=setpoint is 0; 1=setpoint enabled
    Control_word_bits.Bit_07 := Acknowledge;           //Bit 7: 0 to 1 = fault acknowledge    
    Control_word_bits.Bit_08 := FALSE;                 //Bit 8: not used
    Control_word_bits.Bit_09 := FALSE;                 //Bit 9: not used
    Control_word_bits.Bit_10 := TRUE;                  //Bit10: 1= PLC controls the drive
    Control_word_bits.Bit_11 := Direction_reversal;    //Bit11: 1= reverse turning direction    
    Control_word_bits.Bit_12 := FALSE;                 //Bit12: not used
    Control_word_bits.Bit_13 := FALSE;                 //Bit13: increase setpoint in motorized Potentiometer
    Control_word_bits.Bit_14 := FALSE;                 //Bit14: decrease setpoint in motorized Potentiometer
    Control_word_bits.Bit_15 := FALSE;                 //Bit15: not used

//CONVERT AND COPY CONTROL WORD TO BUFFER
    //The SINAMICS and the SIMATIC uses different Byte orders (Endianness)
    //The SINAMICS use Intel format or Little-Endian while the SIMATIC uses Motorola format or Big-Endian.
    //The control and status words we change the high AND low bytes.
    OutData_word[1] :=  ROL(IN:=Control_word ,N:=8);

//CONVERT SETPOINT VALUE AND COPY TO BUFFER
    //The speed value is transferred as scaled value.
    //The reference speed for the scaling is stored in P2000 in a SINAMICS G120. 
    //The scaling is: 100%(of P2000)=4000hex=16384dez  
    OutData_word[2]:=INT_TO_WORD (REAL_TO_INT (Speed_setpoint /Reference_speed_P2000 * 16384.0));
Apart from the start/stop bits, the acknowledge bits and the direction reversal bit, the control bits are all fixed TRUE of FALSE.

Thank you Jesper for confirming what I suspected to be the case.

Our customer requires us to follow their PLC & HMI template, which has startup, control and faults/alarms in 3 different blocks.
I'm going to check if this will work when these 3 parts, (setting control word to 47E hex, forward reverse command, acknowledge fault) are in 3 different blocks.

This thing is going to China and we don't want to go back to fix bugs.

Code:
// Always on bits
      SET   
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.Off2           // No electrical stop
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.Off3           // No fast stop
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.Enable_Op      // Enable operation
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.RFG_Enable     // Enable ramp function generator
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.RFG_Start      // Start ramp function generator
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.SetpointEnable // Enable setpoint
      S     #sWrite.CW_1.ControlFromPlc // Life bit from plc
      R     #sWrite.CW_1.CDSBit0

// Start drive
      A     #iStart
      AN    #sRead.SW_1.Fault
      =     #sWrite.CW_1.On_Off1

// Acknowledge fault
      A     #iReset
      A     #sRead.SW_1.Fault
      =     #sWrite.CW_1.Fault_Acknowledge

// Reverse direction
      A     #iDirection
      =     #sWrite.CW_1.ReverseDirection
Code is from a working G120 FB
I'm not familair with this programing language.
Thank you for your help.

Our supplier's Siemens VFD expert taught us to send complete control words to the VFD, (47E to stop, or 47F to run forward) when we switched from controlling VFD with its inputs terminals to controlling over ProfiNet/ProfiBus. Which was fine because we never had VFD fault to clear during debugging in shop, or in production until this time.
Now Siemens FB11 for G120 Telegram 1 and other examples set bits of VFD control word, and other Siemens G120 project examples use both of sending control word value to QWxxx, and setting bits of control word Qx.x .

Now Siemens FB11 for G120 Telegram 1 and other examples set bits of VFD control word, and other Siemens G120 project examples use both of sending control word value to QWxxx, and setting bits of control word Qx.x .

Actually, the SCL code changes the entire control word, not just individual bits.
Thats one of the nifty things about SCL. With the "AT" construct you can make several "views" of the same code. So you have symbols for both WORD and BOOLs of the same structure.
Snippet from the SCL source code:
Code:
VAR
  Control_word              :  WORD;                    //control word for drive 
  Control_word_bits [COLOR="Red"]AT[/COLOR] Control_word: STRUCT             //bits of the control word
                        Bit_00 : BOOL;  // 0 = OFF1, Shutdown via ramp, followed by pulse inhibit 1 = ON, operating condition (edge-controlled)
                        Bit_01 : BOOL;  // 0 = OFF2: Electrical stop, pulse inhibit, motor coasts down 1 = Operating condition
                        Bit_02 : BOOL;  // 0 = OFF3: Fast stop 1 = Operating condition
                        Bit_03 : BOOL;  // 1 = Operation enable
                        Bit_04 : BOOL;  // 1 = Ramp-function generator enable
                        Bit_05 : BOOL;  // 1 = Continue ramp-function generator
                        Bit_06 : BOOL;  // 1 = Speed setpoint enable
                        Bit_07 : BOOL;  // 1 = Acknowledge fault
                        Bit_08 : BOOL;  // 1 = Jog bit 0
                        Bit_09 : BOOL;  // 1 = Jog bit 1
                        Bit_10 : BOOL;  // 1 = Master ctrl by PLC
                        Bit_11 : BOOL;  // 1 = Directions reversal (setpoint)
                        Bit_12 : BOOL;  // Reserved
                        Bit_13 : BOOL;  // 1 = Motorized potentiometer raise
                        Bit_14 : BOOL;  // 1 = Motorized potentiometer lower
                        Bit_15 : BOOL;  // 1 = CDS bit 0
                    END_STRUCT;
It is all in the sample project I linked to.

edit: For clarity, in the SCL code the bits are manipulated in a "buffer" and the buffer content is sent to the OutData_word[1] as you can see in post #22.

edit again: I suggest you use this sample project. I have used it, it is easy and it works fine. There are templates for the HMI software as well.
And until this thread I have not bothered to actually investigate how the internals of the standard FB works.

Last edited:
The link I posted in post #13 is wrong.
That sample project describes how to control a VFD directly from the HMI, without PLC code.
I shall try to find the sample project that contains control of a a G120 including HMI screens.

edit:
I found this:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/58820849
I think you can ignore the "safety integrated via terminals" if you dont use that.

Last edited:
The link I posted in post #13 is wrong.
That sample project describes how to control a VFD directly from the HMI, without PLC code.
I shall try to find the sample project that contains control of a a G120 including HMI screens.
I can't open that HMI with my WinCC when I tried it 2 days ago. It said it was created with Beta version of WinCC and it needs to be saved again with release version, or my version is too old.

THank you