How to send larger blocks on Profibus ? (Siemens S7)

myuser

I have to set communication from Siemens using Profibus, via a Deutschmann Profibus-RS Unigate Gateway to a Climatisation controller device that understands the ModBus protocol.

I've been able to establish communication through the gateway and properly send and receive data to/from the climatisation controller by using SFC14 and SFC15.

The problem is that using this methode I can only send and receive at most 16Words(32bytes) (limitation of SFC14/SFC15). The GSD file for the gateway however supports up to 122 words of consistent I/O. The way it does this is that it splits the area into 7x16Word and 1x10word chunks with sequential adresses (for example 288-319 first chunk, 320-351 second chunk and so on.)

How is it possible to write/read to this set-up ? I can't find anything in the documentation and it doesn't work in Siemens using:

*SFC14/15 for each chunk separately (8 calls of each)... Return Value 8090 always

*SFC20 for each chunk separately (8 calls of each)...Return Value 8323 for the sending part 8122 for receiving part

*SFC20 for the entire area (122 words) again the same Return Value as above

I'm not too far developing this code, so there still might be obvious problems on my part, but I'd like to know at least which direction to look into....sending/receiving each chunk separately, all the area in one piece...forget this size and do the job using 32byte areas only ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

SFC58 possibly?

Post your SFC20 Call, maybe your syntax is incorrect?

Last edited:
The call to SFC 20

A M100.0
CALL "BLKMOV"
SRCBLK :=#LV.Send_Packet
RET_VAL:=#Lv.RetVal
DSTBLK :=P#Q 288.0 BYTE 244

R M100.0

Where:
M100.0 is just a trigger I set from a VAT
LV.Send_Packet is a structure of (named) 244 bytes
Lv.RetVal is an INT
288 is the address of the ProfiBus gateway in HWConfig

Unfortunately I can't test SFC58 until tomorrow at work. (Simulator doesn't even produce the error I am having).
Thanks