How to show parameters of AOI arguments like MCLM

attologix

I would like to show the value of UDTs and arrays I use in my AOI in the same way as an MCLM instruction displays the individual elements of the position argument:

https://i.imgur.com/9Vnbiwb.png

9Vnbiwb.png

Position is a Real[3] array, but it gives X_Axis, Y_Axis, and Z_Axis sub-element values that are displayed in the signature. Nice, right? (It's Rockwell, so it's a little buggy and shows '??' if you point it at a jagged array, or an array within a UDT, but when it works it's nice). And there's a double-arrow-down at the bottom to expand/display additional operands, so that a gargantuan instruction with a bunch of esoteric options can just show the normal "Position" parameter as you read through a routine to debug a problem.

But when I pass a Real[3] array to my AOI (an InOut parameter, with "VIS" visibility required in the instruction definition), I just get the array name:

https://i.imgur.com/04dgX2p.png

04dgX2p.png

I'd like to make it easy to write clean code against the instructions, with UDTs and arrays that encapsulate the somewhat complicated parameter sets.

Is there anything I can do in the L5X to change the display of the parameter? What about showing or hiding the parameters as 'additional operands'?

Perhaps more importantly, what would you want to see from AOI arguments? For a handful of arguments, obviously it's easier to just pass them individually by value as inputs, but at what level of complexity would you want an array or UDT?

Last edited:
You'll need to create a local tag, say, "Local_POS" which is also a Real[3] tag, that you'll COP your In/Out "Position" tag into somewhere in the AOI logic.

Then create 3 Output tags, "X_Axis", "Y_Axis", and "Z_Axis" that are alias to Local_POS[0], [1], and [2].

Check the [_] Vis box for each of these output tags, and it should look like what you want.

Thanks Aardwizz, that works well enough. Just using output tags (duh, should've thought of that myself) isn't quite the as pretty as the MCLM formatting with the indentation and grouping, but it's good enough.

If anyone has the secret XML invocation for writing an L5K that does that, let me know, otherwise I'll consider this one solved.