How vintage Logix1000-1500

besc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok. Getting back into this after a long absence. I look on Ebay and see all kinds of Logix 1000 family of PLCs for sale. Does this family have staying power? What software must I use to program them? Logix 500? I go back to the PLC3 era. Thanks. Mike.

MicroLogix1000, MicroLogix1200 and MicroLogix1500.
Obsolete, but some still buy them new.

MicroLogix1100 and MicroLogix1400.
Current and relatively uptodate.

Ml1000-1500 are all programmed with RSLogix500.

IMO, anything without ethernet is not worth considering, no matter that the project is very small or not.

you want a MicroLogix 1100 ... you can get a legal copy of RSLogix500 software to program it as a FREE download ...

other versions of RSLogix500 are NOT free - and would be required for MOST of the other models that you mentioned ...

the MicroLogix 1000 can also be programmed with the FREE software - but that model doesn't have Ethernet capabilities ... plus the MicroLogix 1000 doesn't support "online" editing - and the MicroLogix 1100 does ...

once again - based on what you've told us so far, you want a MicroLogix 1100 ...

going further:

tell us more about WHY you're asking these questions - and we can probably help with more detailed advice ...

Last edited:
The Micrologix family is ABs primary micro PLC line. The Micrologix 1000 is the bottom dweller of the Micrologix family and I wouldn't waste one dollar on one. The Micrologix family includes, in order of capability, the ML1000, the ML1200, and the ML1500, the ML1100 and the ML1400. The ML1100 has similar capabilities to the ML1400 but it is limited in terms of IO and there are some functions that are only available in the 1400. These all program with RSLogix500. The ML1000 and ML1100 can be programmed with a free version of RSLogix500. All the others require a licensed version of the software.

The SLC500 family of PLCs, also programmed with RSLoigx5000 have entered silver series status and even though they are still supported they are priced high to encourage customers to migrate to newer platforms.

The PLC/5s are now considered legacy PLCs and parts and support contracts are very expensive. They program with RSLoigx5, which is no longer being updated.

AB's flagship PLC line is the ControlLogix and CompactLogix. These lines of PLCs are programmed with RS Logix5000.

A few years back we changed to using exclusively ControlLogix and CompactLogix except the Micrologix1400 for small jobs. In 2013 we decided to quit using the ML1400 as AB had released several new models of small low priced compact logix platforms. Now everything we do is ControlLogix or CompactLogix, even small systems. I'm just guessing here, but based on how AB has priced the small CompactLogix systems, I don't expect to see any new developments in the ML platforms.

Last edited:
The SLC500 family of PLCs, also programmed with RSLoigx5000 have entered silver series status and even though they are still supported they are priced high to encourage customers to migrate to newer platforms.

AB's flagship PLC line is the ControlLogix and CompactLogix. These lines of PLCs are programmed with RS Logix5000.

I think Mr. Connolly accidentally added an extra 0 when speaking of the software used to program The SLC500 Family.

As he stated, and is far more aware than I, 5000 is for CompactLogix and ControlLogix.

Regards

MicroLogix1000, MicroLogix1200 and MicroLogix1500.
Obsolete, but some still buy them new.

You scared me!
I had to look up my MicroLogix1000 1761-L16AWA
here
Active Mature: Product is fully supported, but a newer product exists. Gain value by migrating.
I guess I should figure out what the "newer product" is.

I am guessing that the "Newer Product" is the ML1100. I wouldn't buy a new ML1000 unless price was the only factor.

Yes, but I don't want to spend the extra $200.00 for the ML1100 unless I have to.
I guess when I eventually have to migrate, at least I'll get Ethernet.

Actually the free software for programming MicroLogix 1000’s (and 1100’s) isn’t “RSLogix500”, it’s called “RSLogix Micro Starter Lite”. Same look and feel as RSLogix500 but some limitations (other than only supporting 1000’s and 1100’s). You can get a bundled package with RSLinx Lite (RSLinx is still required) if you don’t have RSLinx or by itself if you do have RSLinx.
It can be found here: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/plc/micrologix.page

TConnolly said:
...I'm just guessing here, but based on how AB has priced the small CompactLogix systems, I don't expect to see any new developments in the ML platforms...

Rockwell have no further plans to develop any platforms based on RSLogix 500. Studio 5000 based Logix platforms are the current and future focus.
The Micro800 platform, using Connected Components Workbench, was introduced to provide a less expensive offering into the market, going forward.

Regards,
George

I hope that some day Rockwell will develop a MicroLogix like line of PLC's that works with RSL5K. The L1 processors are good but they are double the cost of a similar ML. Plus they don't offer the range of I/O options that the ML line does. We use a lot of AC inputs and Relay outputs in my line.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra $$ for the L1 if I could get the I/O that I need without adding more modules.

Guess we will see were they go from here. I sure hope that they don't discontinue the MicroLogix line and try and force us into the Micro line for small PLC's. In my opinion CCW is junk!! They took a major step backwards with that product offering.

It might be different in the US, but over here the cost difference between the MicroLogix 1400 1766-L32BXB and the Compact Logix 1769-L16ERBB1B is about $100. For the extra functionality you get with RSLogix 5000, it makes it hard to justify the MicroLogix any more.

It might be different in the US, but over here the cost difference between the MicroLogix 1400 1766-L32BXB and the Compact Logix 1769-L16ERBB1B is about $100. For the extra functionality you get with RSLogix 5000, it makes it hard to justify the MicroLogix any more.

With that price difference I would do the same.

In the US a 1766-L32BXB list for $872.00. A 1769-L16ERBB1B list for $1490.00.

Like I said I wouldn't mind paying the difference if I could get the same type of I/O choices as the MicroLogix.

Before CompactLogix came out there was talk of using the MicroLogix 1500 I/O base to host a Logix 5000 class controller that would also have the high-speed counter and interrupt abilities of the MicroLogix.

There would have been room for an LCD display, and for a CompactFlash card, and an Ethernet jack and second COM port on the left side.

Alas, it never came to be. The CompactLogix form factor was chosen, and the MicroLogix 1500 I/O base left alone, in favor of the smaller (and higher performance) embedded I/O on the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 hardware. E

Eventually CompactLogix got embedded high-speed features on the L2 family.

I still use MicroLogix 1400 where it's appropriate, but soured on the Micro 800 series after using it at version 1.0.