Human Factor in Manufacturing

m_turk said:
I agree with Bernie. To say it simple, I don't think one robot (ore any automation equipment) replacing one worker is the way to go. Giving one worker one robot and making them do tree times the profit is progress..

Don't forget it's one step closer to that 0ppm. A robot won't accidentally skip that middle machine and put the part in the box.

Unfortuantley most investment needs to be justified, and where i work it is in 'people lost'. If we spend 200K on something it must be seen to save money, and generally it is people that are affected.

However, as already said here, some of these people are 'retained' into other jobs.

This company is now suffering from the old 'Last In / First Out' redundancy rulings from 20 odd yrs ago, so now have 30% looking to retire and most others under 30.