I know this is way the heck OT, but...........

Donations to the hurricane relief fund!

• I have already donated

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • I am going to donate

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
elevmike said:
Dont B.S. yourself. America needs help. If we didnt we wouldnt still be trying to rescue people 3 days after the event. No country has the resources on hand to deal with such am immense disaster.

Mike you've done it again... Seems like you frequently post what I'm thinking of posting before I finish reading through the thread...

The US does not have the mobile resources (manpower, boats, etc) to do this by ourselves effectivly...
Can the US do it alone? Sure... eventually we can get things cleaned up by ourselves, but the human lives lost are going to be staggering.
Can the US do a better job helping those devastated by Katrina with the help of our friends around the world? H#$% yes!

OK so now I'll get off my high horse and leave you all with a link; if you want to help this is a good place to start:
http://www.breedlove.org/

So this is the 4th day since the storm has passed. 10s of thousdands are still stranded amongst rotting bodies,(with rats feeding on them), with little or no food, potable water, or medical supplies. A few more days of this and it wont matter.

Where's Ron? He hasnt posted on either forum since before the storm.

elevmike said:
So this is the 4th day since the storm has passed. 10s of thousdands are still stranded amongst rotting bodies
Of those 10's of thousands, a few dozen have decided that shooting at the rescuers is somehow a good idea. It's not good PR, but I'm glad to see they're letting the military crack some heads now.

The radio today asked whether you'd rather be in New Orleans or Iraq right now. Tough call: at least Iraq is dry and much of the power is on.

AK

elevmike said:
Where's Ron? He hasnt posted on either forum since before the storm.
I asked the same question at his forum (and I see you did too). Let's hope he's just been too busy reducing equations to post... ;)

🍻

-Eric

P.S. For those with Google Earth, they now have quite a few updated overlays of the affected areas HERE.

We have loaded a truck and trailer with all that it can carry that will be headed for Mississippi this afternoon or early tomorrow morning. People there need water, bleach for disinfecting, gas, non-perishable foods, etc. Three team members that are familiar with that area are driving it down. There has to be other companies in this forum that are capable of doing the same.

AK,

Regarding the snipers & looters, I'm sure back in 1878 congress didnt envision this. It's way past time to overlook Posse Comitatus and get the military in there now.

Andy, That's good and your right.

Unfortunately we dont have assets that would do anything for the pour souls trapped & dying within the flooded area. These people need to be evacuated. Every helicopter in the country should be at the disposal of thoes trying to rescue these very desperate people.

Eric,

Ron posts almost every day. This guy gives a lot of himself on both forums. I'm somewhat concerned.

I just heard on NPR that a supply convoy has reached the convention center & Super Dome. Additionally the Guard has finally arrived with "shoot to kill" orders. That's good, but these people still need to get out of there.

AndyT said:
We have loaded a truck and trailer with all that it can carry that will be headed for Mississippi this afternoon or early tomorrow morning. People there need water, bleach for disinfecting, gas, non-perishable foods, etc. Three team members that are familiar with that area are driving it down. There has to be other companies in this forum that are capable of doing the same.

We've donated $1million to Red Cross and a bike to The Tonight Show which will be auctioned off. During the tsunami, the bike which was auctioned sold for over $800,000

We've donated $1million to Red Cross and a bike to The Tonight Show which will be auctioned off. During the tsunami, the bike which was auctioned sold for over $800,000

Outstanding sir! I have to imagine for every one company that can do what yours did there must be many others that can afford to do something less.

Spoke with a customer today who lives in one of the suburbs of New Orleans. He took his RV with family in hand and left on Sunday. He said it took 10 hours to drive 100 miles west to Layfette.

He had mentioned that he won't even attempt going back for at least another week. His neighbor who updated him actually stayed through the storm and is actually armed, preventing any looting in their neighborhood.

The majority of damage was done to the down town area which is what you are seeing on the news nightly.

He was fortunate in that where his home is, the levee didn't break.

I am still waiting to hear from another customer in the New Orleans area.

As a company we tithe off of our increase. Being in between churches I have had this money needing to go somewhere. In listening to our regional Christian radio station www.fln.org They mentioned of an organization in Houston called Somebody Cares that is initating a program - "Cards for Katrina" More can be seen from this link - http://www.fln.org/katrina.htm Briefly, they are accepting donations of gift cards that can be distributed immediately, to meet needs.

There is also another organization called Convoy of Hope - www.convoyofhope.org that does some incredible things during disasters but also on a regular basis. We actually participated in a Convoy of Hope outreach last year in Lockport.

So, if anyone is looking for an organization to provide assistance, here are two.

God Bless,

I talked to the owner of a company I do repairs for.

He was loading up a lowboy with every generator he had and all the one gallon water bottles he could buy.

Right now, I figure many water bottlers will be skid wrapping water.

Logistics is HUGE! Do you just jump and drive there with supplies? What roads and delivery sites for distribution?

I think I heard the Red Cross just needs $$$$, they may have a better infrastructure in place than the Feds - GAG!

I remember going through a flood here in '57, that the Red Cross was there, BUT there was NO PHYSICAL BODIES to help sholvel, haul, fetch, feed, shelter ETC - at least we got typhoid shots quickly.
And our house ONLY got 4.5 feet of water and no wind damage.

I made up a few care packages several years back - styro boxes, can openers, paper towels, diapers, lots of canned food (mainly soup) and a BIG Hershey bar. I wouldn't ship water - tanker trucks will be there soon (I hope)

Check with the Red Cross - I guess - I don't know.

As for Ron - I'll bet you a doughnut he hauled a$$ there to help - he is that kind of guy.

Rod

elevmike said:
the pour souls trapped & dying within the flooded area

I know I'm going to catch some flack for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I've been in that convention center, and it is about 100 yards from the levee on the Mississippi (the one that did not fail). There is a road that runs along the top of the levee, and I believe it goes all the way to Baton Rouge.

The convention center is about 1/4 mile from a bridge over the river to Algiers, and all photos indicate that bridge should be just fine for pedestrian traffic. The distance is about 5 miles, and as I understand it, the Algiers side of the river had wind damage but no flooding.

I've been in the Superdome, and it is about a mile further from the river than the convention center.

I know that a great many of these people could have simply walked out of the city days ago. They would still need aid and food and help, but they would be a lot closer to it and a lot better off than they are sitting where they're at and complaining.

The people in New Orleans were given four days notice to get out of town. I've been in communication with some friends who lived near the French Quarter and wisely did just that.

Louisiana in general and Jefferson and Orleans Parrishes in particular are among the most politically corrupt and incompetently managed areas in the country.

I know there are some deserving people in need and in desparate circumstances in New Orleans, but a great many people are making the worst of a bad situation. I'm giving most of my sympathy to the people in Mississippi and Alabama who are getting a lot less publicity, are whining a lot less, and are doing a lot more with their own rescources.

Rockwell announced a $250K donation to the Red Cross, plus up to an additional $100K in matching funds for employees who donate (matching only applies to Red Cross donations).

Regarding Tom's last post...While it's true there may be a way out of the city, how would those who stayed in the city obtain food and water? They've lost everything (which unfortunately may not have been much to begin with, since I would assume that unless they were absolutely stubborn, those who had the means to leave did so), and if they did leave, how would FEMA/Red Cross/etc. know where to set up distribution points for the staples?

Flack.

You actually expect these people to walk unknown miles through a wasteland, littered with untold hazards & randomly peppered with roving gangs taking pot-shot at them? Expecially when they've been told to go there and stay put?

Tom, I dont disagree that they had prior warning, and the curruption bla bla etc....But that's not a good enough reason to leave them to die.