I/O Config SLC 5/03

AlignPLC

So while investigating further the issues on my PLC, which is an SLC 5/03, I was scrolling around in the I/O Configuration under the Project Tree and I clicked the Power Supply button in I/O Configuration and I noticed I had an OVERLOADED alert in the Messages box. It goes on to say "Use a larger power supply. KE/BASIC module detected - if using this card to power an attached AIC, 24vdc current load will be 85mA higher than shown."
What does this mean in terms of SLC functionality?
What is it referring to when mentioning "power to an AIC?"
And will this have any effect on the machine, in this case, Chemical Auto Line that it controls/monitors?
P.S. if you'd like more information on my whole system for extra details, go to my other thread SLC 5/03 COMMUNICATIONS

Make sure you have selected the exact power supply that's in the rack. "Read I/O config" can't determine the power supply automatically. I know on my 3 SLC racks, I have to manually specify the power supply that's installed.

How do I go about manually specifying that? It says informational only when I select the power supply option under I/O configuration

You have to do it offline, unfortunately, and then download the program changes if the SLC is able to come offline.

To answer your other question, and AIC is an isolated link coupler. It can couple multiple SLC's together on a DH-485 network. Then a 1747-KE would be used to bridge the DH-485 network to devices using the DF1 protocol.

Quite simply your power supply is not adequate for the job
You need to increase the size of the power supply but be careful there
If you power required through the back plane is to large it could damage the rack back plane
It may be time to upgrade their system the 5/03 has been obsolete for a while and parts are hard to get
Upgrading to a new controller would gain you more features and insure parts are available in the future
No point in waiting until you system crashes and you are down for a long time

You have to do it offline, unfortunately,

This is true, and it is for informational purposes only.

and then download the program changes if the SLC is able to come offline.

That part is not necessary since, like other forms of documentation, the SLC doesn't need to care nor does it hold any of that info in its memory. So there's no need to download it after making a power supply selection.

The power budgeting in the software is just a tool to make it easier to figure out what size chassis power supply you need.

I suspect that even if you make a selection to match the actual power supply, that you can save the file and then still go online using that file without having to 'upload and merge'.

That part is not necessary since, like other forms of documentation, the SLC doesn't need to care nor does it hold any of that info in its memory. So there's no need to download it after making a power supply selection.

The power budgeting in the software is just a tool to make it easier to figure out what size chassis power supply you need.

I suspect that even if you make a selection to match the actual power supply, that you can save the file and then still go online using that file without having to 'upload and merge'.

This is my understanding as well.

The OVERLOADED alert indicates that, based on the modules you have configured, the selected power supply will be overloaded. Since the PLC does not itself actually know what the power supply is, this will only be accurate if you have selected the correct power supply.

Verify what the actual, physical power supply is, and make that your selection in the software. If you still have the error, then you are in fact overloaded and should get a larger power supply.

Okay so the problem there is I identified the proper power supply on the side of the SLC and when I go to select that in the >I/O Configuration< offline it still just tells me informational only not allowing me to change that. The proper selection is P2 on the options list where it's currently selecting like >P1/P7< in the power supply options. What am I missing there?
And thanks for all your inputs on this, I appreciate it

Okay so the problem there is I identified the proper power supply on the side of the SLC and when I go to select that in the >I/O Configuration< offline it still just tells me informational only not allowing me to change that. The proper selection is P2 on the options list where it's currently selecting like >P1/P7< in the power supply options. What am I missing there?
And thanks for all your inputs on this, I appreciate it

I will have to check tomorrow from my work PC with RSLogix500 and give more detail, maybe a screenshot with some annotation if I get some dead time.

I didn't have any issue picking any of the power supply options in an offline file I chose from my recent files list. Are you saying the radio buttons are grayed out?

SLCpowerbudget.png

See attached picture. Select the radio button next to the power supply that matches your setup. The default is the first option, in my case, I have a P2 supply, which is adequate for the rack.

Power supply.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, my bad, that is more than likely unnecessary. And as everyone else mentioned, this really is informational only.

If you were able to actually change it (not sure why you can't), you would notice that the it automatically updates the estimated fields based on predetermined calculations with the cards you have installed. If you have are not seeing issues other than the "OVERLOADED" alert message in that box, I wouldn't be too concerned.

If you are really concerned that you might be truly overloaded, let us know what cards you have installed and one of us could double check that the P2 selection is adequate.