IDEC WinLDR ladder question...

timothy585

Supporting Member
On a job and using the IDEC Micro FC6A hardware with WinLDR software for the first time and I have a quick ladder logic question.

What's the difference between "inserting a new ladder line" instead of "creating a new rung"? This wording is in the manual, but doesn't go any further in describing the difference.

In the example screenshot, each rung is independent so what's the purpose of grouping them in the same rung (Rung 4) versus individual rungs (1, 2, 3 & 5)?

Thanks,
Tim S

IDEC 1.jpg

Normally, inserting a new rung means moving the rung you are on down one & creating a new one for example
If on run 3 of 5 rungs inserting a rung moves 3 4 & 5 down and inserts a rung in 3, creating normally means adding a new rung at the bottom, however, there are many differences in the way some IDE's work, for example in Mitsubishi when you want in insert a rung you have two choices to insert a rung before or after, I do know that many do not have create a new rung it's just insert (or overwrite depending on the INS key state), technically inserting a new rung can also mean insert a new branch not a new rung, or could be the same as new line.
unfortunately it can get a bit messy. Just try it & see what it does.

Just try it & see what it does.
+1.

My guesses are:

• a "new ladder line" will add a new black number to one of the red rungs
    • @parky said this when he referred to a "branch"
  • > "so what's the purpose of grouping them in the same rung (Rung 4) versus individual rungs (1, 2, 3 & 5)?"
    • There is no difference in the ladder logic shown,
    • but if you insert a vertical connector between two ladder lines within a rung, then you can implement OR logic.

Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that affects the logic flow.
I think I will just stick with rung for rung right now and not get into adding ladder lines. Besides having rung numbers and line numbers that don't match up on the left side just don't look right to me.