Ignition vs DNP3

dalporto

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, happy new year!

I read a topic lately and many more before that where a lot of people saying that Ignition is damn good SCADA, so I wanted to give it a try. Citect licences prices are still climbing and our main customer is thinking about going to VT SCADA over Citect, which up to now I don't really like. So, I wanted to give Ignition a try, which could be at least a replacement for some local HMI on some projects. Anyway.

First things I did was to establish communication with some devices, so I succeeded with a Schneider PLC in Modbus, a Rockwell PLC and an Eaton SMP4 in DNP3. It's not that complicated, but it's not the best neither but still manageable.

One of the most important part in my line of work is the time stamping from some devices (think protection relays) to be able to precisely establish a sequence of events when the unit trips. This is why we're using DNP3 as much as we can.

For those familiars with DNP3 knows that the time stamp is, let me put it that way, "embedded within the event created in the tag by the device creating the event". So let say I have a BI changing state at 11:18:38.953 on Jan 2nd 2024 on my SMP gateway, that information is "written in the event".

So, when the Ignition OPC is "receiving" that change of status, the DNP3 Tag.TimeStamp should be showing the exact same value, regardless of it's own clock synchronization (relatively).

Right now, it's showing a 4 seconds discrepancy with the original event, and it's not showing msec neither. And after the trial reset, it's just showing the time that I reset the trial, which is not good at all for me, it should keep the value in it's own log.

Is there something I'm not getting or Ignition is not great to handle DNP3?

Thanks.

Found that on their forum without answers:

DNP3-Outstation value timestamp / Ignition 7.9.5

Ignition

austral
Nov 2017

Hi,
I’m testing the DNP3 driver with a DNP3 outstation simulator (simple 3-phases relay with latch on/off command).
This simulator has a different time setting than the Ignition server (other TZ).
The tag history is set to Timestamp Source = Value.
Pb: the time value IS NOT the value timestamp but the server value.
Question: is there something I’m missing or is it a normal behavior?