IMC S Class 4100-234-RL 4-axis motion controller programming issue

sifis

Banned User
I have an IMC S Class 4100-234-RL 4-axis motion controller.
The unit powers up, it passes the diagnostics and the System OK light comes on solid green.There is a program in the unit, but you cannot download a new program. I sent it to a repair shop and they could not remove the program and download a new program. Any ideas,recommendations, reputable repair shops.Thank you.

That is good. I didn't figure you'd miss that one.
Tell us how you are connected, what software you are using, etc.

Are you able to establish a serial connection? Those port(s) can be configured a number of ways (I think with dipswitches on the 1394s, I don't recall if dipswitches are used on the S-Class GMC).

IIRC, we used serial port B with Commander 4.03

Also, it could be important to know the iCode version installed in the controller.

That is good. I didn't figure you'd miss that one.
Tell us how you are connected, what software you are using, etc.

Are you able to establish a serial connection? Those port(s) can be configured a number of ways (I think with dipswitches on the 1394s, I don't recall if dipswitches are used on the S-Class GMC).

IIRC, we used serial port B with Commander 4.03

Also, it could be important to know the iCode version installed in the controller.
I own the unit (4100-234-RL), but I do not have the software for it.I bought it for a customer and they had issues with the unit (they could not download a program). I am trying to buy the software and learn as much as I can about these units to help my customer and other potential customers.I am not familiar with some of the terminology (ICODE version?).Thank you,Joe.

Last edited:
The Icode version rarely comes into play, so I would not worry about that unless you encounter a running system that is using some of the advanced programming techniques that can be affected by those revisions. IIRC, the icode version can be read from a label on the system board firmware chips.

You need manuals (S-Class) and software.

I have some of that stuff (and maybe more?) on an old computer at home, but the files are hu-normous (scanned 500+ page manuals). On the other hand, I work in OKC so I could help you in person.

You will also need connector kits (for feedback and servo-amp connection) unless you have all that stuff already too. That is if you want to build a real running system. GML is pretty cool stuff, very different from PLC programming, but it is obsolete, so I am not sure how much value there is in learning it. There is always value in learning in general and there are probably thousands of these controllers out there in the world so who knows what you might gain from it?

The Icode version rarely comes into play, so I would not worry about that unless you encounter a running system that is using some of the advanced programming techniques that can be affected by those revisions. IIRC, the icode version can be read from a label on the system board firmware chips.

You need manuals (S-Class) and software.

I have some of that stuff (and maybe more?) on an old computer at home, but the files are hu-normous (scanned 500+ page manuals). On the other hand, I work in OKC so I could help you in person.

You will also need connector kits (for feedback and servo-amp connection) unless you have all that stuff already too. That is if you want to build a real running system. GML is pretty cool stuff, very different from PLC programming, but it is obsolete, so I am not sure how much value there is in learning it. There is always value in learning in general and there are probably thousands of these controllers out there in the world so who knows what you might gain from it?
Please call me for details. Thank you,Joe, 405-201-3362.

Got your number, Joe. Tomorrow, i'll call. I would recommend that you pm ask Phil Melore to delete your phone number unless you want it to live on here for all searchers to find in the future... :)

Paul

Last edited:
Got your number, Joe. Tomorrow, i'll call. I would recommend that you pm ask Phil Melore to delete your phone number unless you want it to live on here for all searchers to find in the future... :)

Paul
Could you please email/call me asap.
Thank you,
Joe.

Paul

Could you please email/call me asap.
Thank you,
Joe.