Importing Inputs/Outputs From PLC to VB via OPC

Zanmato

Hey!

I want to import/read I/O from PLC to VB via OPC server so that i can produce alarm sounds and such...What can I do? Can you help me?

Thanks a lot..

I have S7-400 PLC.They are coming with an OPC server...

I want to make an external program that communicates & retrieves I/O datas - tags (& tag list would be great) so that i can give alarms, warnings etc. via my computer and spread it....I m going to make a VB program controlling these I/O's, with your help :)

I want to use my ethernet card to communicate it with PLC

I'm currently working on a project that connects a 300 series S7 PLC with a PC via ethernet and I had to buy SoftNet Lean in order to get them to communicate (although they still aren't communicating.... long story...)

You may need to do the same.

Then you configure your PC to be an IP address (eg. 192.168.0.2) and your PLC to be a different IP address (192.168.0.1) and, in theory, you should have comms.

I'm not sure how you would extract the data from the PLC with your own program... but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

It's worth noting that you may also need an ethernet switch (I did) but you'll just have to see how you get on. The first thing is to set up the comms and the 'ping' the PLC to see if you are communicating...

:)

I'm currently working on a project that connects a 300 series S7 PLC with a PC via ethernet and I had to buy SoftNet Lean in order to get them to communicate (although they still aren't communicating.... long story...)
I'm not sure about Step7 V5.2, but with V5.3 all you need is built in. I'm using a CP343-1IT and had it talking to my PCs using FTP via a cross-over cable (not actually sure whether that was necessary or not) in a couple of hours. Easiest bit of Siemens' gear I've ever met!

Hi Again...

Are there any PLC guys out there that is into OPC XML servers?

I m trying to connect the integrated OPC XML server of WinCC to import the tags/their values of WinCC OPC DA server, but cant succeed....

NEED HELP URGENT, just WinCC OPC XML server/client help is also appreciated..

Zanmato

Last edited:
I have not looked into the XML options, but I have been messing around with OPC/VB. I have created an application to simulate an elevator project I made in laddder. I used OPC to interact with the ladder logic (control inputs to ladder).

I would recommend that you download and install an OPC client called KepServerEx available from http://www.opcsource.com/Products/products_download.html , this is free to download and also comes with VB examples. The free version worked for me, I'm not using a PLC but a bespoke SCADA package which is 61131 compliant, hence the ability to do ladder. If you run the OPC client you get the option to connect to an OPC server, if you see your server in the list 'BINGO'...you're home and dry, the KepServerEx libraries will allow you to use VB to interact with your OPCServer.

Hope this helps.