Importing Rungs into a running Contrologix PLC

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I should know this . I would like to import some rungs into a running
ControlLogix PLC . Can you actually keep a ControlLogix PLC online and running and import Rungs into it ?

Thanks ,

Good Morning ,

I should know this . I would like to import some rungs into a running
ControlLogix PLC . Can you actually keep a ControlLogix PLC online and running and import Rungs into it ?

Thanks ,

Yes.

Edit: All the usual caveats for making online edits apply, eg must be in remote, not just run.

I've done it plenty of times with no issues.

Edit the second: There's potential issues if the rungs were exported from a later version and you import to an earlier processor that doesn't support something in the import. I think even then it'll just fail without causing any problems for the running program though.

Last edited:
Adding rungs to current routine.. Copy, Paste. Create/assign all associated tags.

Adding new routine.. Import Routine.

Both are doable while online and running. the old SLCs didnt let you add new routines online.

Adding rungs to current routine.. Copy, Paste. Create/assign all associated tags.

If you do an actual import of rungs then it will create all tags as part of the import process (and will retain the values they had when exported, which can be extremely handy).

If tags in the imported rungs already exist, you will be given the option to keep the existing tag or overwrite with the imported version. 'Use existing' is the default iirc.