Importing Tag data

ET Marty

Using RSLogix 5000, using FactoryTalk View Studio.

Im learning here and my eyes are crossing. Trying to import the tag database of a Logix 5000 program into a new RSView project.

In Logix 5000 I have created a .CSV file (in Excel) and saved to my desktop. In RSView I go in TOOLS - TAG IMPORT AND EXPORT WIZARD - SELECT IMPORT RSVIEW CSV FILES. From there I select what files, checking tags only and selecting the CSV file on my desktop. From there it wants you to select the destination project (.rsv)... theres my problem. Where is this .rsv file? Ive ran searches and nothing comes up at all. How do I create this .rsv file? Am I even on the right track?

:site:

Then you will need to look for a .apa file.
The .apa is the source/original.
I would just do a search of your computer *.apa to locate it. There is a standard place that it is stored on your computer that you should never change and it is a bit of a pain getting use to it. Look in tha manual for this exact location.

Hope this helps

I truly appreciate your help. I am able to find the .apa files but am not able to import into these. Going through the import wizard, the detination folder needs to be of a (*.rsv) file type.

.rsv is the file extension for a RSview32 project.
.sed is the file extension for Factory Talk SE [The new and improved RSView32..Not really]
.apa is the file extension for Factory Talk ME

.APA file is the archived FT View ME code. It is NOT the file that is modified as you work on your project. This won't really help you.

You don't have to import PLC tags if you have your RSLogix 5000 file available. Set up your "Offline Tag File" in "Communications Setup" under RSLinx Enterprise to point to your .RSS file and FT will read in the tags so you can select any of them in the Tag Brower when you want to make an object's connection.

jstolaruk is correct about the .apa file but you do have to have this so you can restore it into a file you can work with. This is assuming it was written in 5.0 or later.

Sorry