In 220 kw soft starter fault come has a open bypass fault

Hi friends recently one month back i commissioned 220kw ss with 420A(200KW) load but today fault occur in soft starter.The fault is open bypass fault B.Can u give solution for this problem so i can do fastly closed issue

Last edited:
You'll have to provide a lot more information than what you've given. Electrical design drawing,mfg & model would be a good start. Is the bypass contactor internal or external? If external, does the SS monitor the bypass contactor?

Power pole bypass contacts are monitored for proper operation. In the event that a contact closure is not sensed, the
SMC-Flex will indicate an Open Bypass fault.

Is it a one-time fault or does it happen consistently?

Because the bypass contactor is internal, the only thing you can do is remove & replace, with a warranty replacement if the unit is new.

Considering the information you've given and assuming you've checked that all control voltages are present, I believe you'll have to replace the unit.

Basically, I agree with jstolaruk but would be curious if, when the softstarter is in bypass, is the motor seeing all three phases? Or, does your testing confirm that the bypass contactor is defective.

If your testing reveals that the bypass contactor is not picking up at all, it is likely that the contactor is ok and the control circuitry or programming is wrong. If under warranty, it probably doesn't make any difference but, if not, you could save some money by finding the real cause of the problem rather than just change out a good contactor.