In house Machine Build - CE Marking???

saleshark

Hi All

I am in the process of finishing a machine build, Basically it is a conveyor system with locking station where work is carried out by pick and place units and index tables. We bought all the modules of one company. These had been tested before shipment etc. They were however shipped with out any electrical wiring or main control panel.

We have then wired all motors and control etc.

My question is as we have finished this machine to use within our own company, do we need CE marking etc as we will not be selling this machine on?

We are going to get the machine surveyed for safety etc, Is there anything else I should do?

It confuses me that you say it was delivered as modules (i.e. a standard design ?) from ONE company, but WITHOUT main control panel ?
Who designed the control panel you have now ?
Who has designed the safety system, if any ?

If you bought a standard design, then in a nutshell the supplier is responsible for the design, but as the endcustomer you are responsible for everything else.

If you designed just part of the machine, then you take over the complete responsibility of the safety.

The following should be obvious, but I state it nevertheless:

Any production facility must have a "declaration of conformity".
There must be a "technical file".
In the technical file there must be amongst other things
- a risk analysis
- instructions for use with safety instructions.
- a report stating that the machine installation is finished, all safety devices and guards are installed, so it is safe for takinginto operation.

Someone at your plant is responsible for safety. That person must follow up on that the production facility is safe, operators has got instructions, that rules are followed etc.

If a serious accidence occurs at your plant, then something in the safety has failed, meaning one or more persons has failed their responsibility. The police will arrive and will establish what person was it that failed his responsibility.

Sorry I will try to explain further. We have bought a conveyor system. This was mechanically built and the motors fitted etc. This was then tested using a master control panel at the manufacturers. It was the dis-assembled and shipped to us along with the frequency inverters for the motors. No wiring was complete as this was temporary at the manufacturer. They also did the same with the index tables and the pick and place units. So all three parts are sent mechanically built and with the frequency inverters. It was then up to us to supply the control panel and wiring.

They would normally sell these modules to a machine builder, who would then complete the project for a customer and provide CE marking ect and sell on.

As we have completed this in house for our own purpose and will not be selling the machine on, Do we need to get CE Marking?

I have designed the safety circuit and we have had someone in to do the guarding for us.I am in the process of completing the drawings and instructions for the machine.

I think you are asking for CE marking just the electrical panels. I think there are exceptions for this.
If you had the panels built at a panelbuilder, then you could probably have asked them to stick the CE mark on. Normally, there is a plate on the panel with all the electrical data, and the CE-mark.

Since the safety part is your responsibility, then be sure to do all the paper work. It may become very important for you some time.