Indirect Addressing On Panelview Plus

mrm37

IM BUILDING A PANELVIEW PLUS AND IM TRYING TO ADDRESS A STRING DISPLAY USING INDIRECT ADDRESSING ST10:[C5:0.ACC],CAN THIS BE DONE AND HOW, I WOULD APPRICIATE ANY FEED BACK ON THIS, IT WOULD BE OF GREAT HELP THANKS

I don't know if it can be done like that, but it will suprise me.
The thing youre trying to do is easyly achieved by the PLC. I think the answer lies in how (and when) the PV is building its communication profile for the shown page. Maybe you'll have to dive into Global data to build a permanent communication profile? And then again, it really depends on how and when the comms profile is build.

I look forward to read answers.

Indirect addressing will work, but only if you do it in the PLC.

Create a string for display on the PV, and then copy your message strings into that string in the PLC.

And, while this does work, you may find that the PV doesn't update strings with blinding speed.

rdrast is dead right, you should always do a quick sanity check if you find yourself wanting to display strings such as "Run", "Stopped"
etc. etc. because they can be very slow to update ( 'cos they can be very large lumps of data). Much better to send an integer and have the HMI use its value to change the text on the screen based on a local message file.

Of course there are times when a string does need to be sent and in those cases rdrast's method is the way to do it, display a "fixed" string address and move the result of the indirect address into it.

PV Plus indirect addressing

I am using a slc 504 and pushing my limits on memory. I was simply wondering if the panelview plus could assist with indirect addressing?

More than one way to skin a cat.

I agree with everyone who says you should do the indirection in the PLC.

But....

If, for whatever reason, you HAVE to do indirect addressing in the Panelview, use a multistate indicator. Have each state include an inserted variable (which points to the DIRECT address), and use the indirect variable as the Indicator.

You should get reasonable screen updates on data changes, because the tag will have already been read by the PV+ since it's on the screen. Changing the number will just change WHICH tag gets displayed. On the downside, the first time that screen is displayed, then THE ENTIRE ARRAY will have to be read, not just the one string being displayed. This could cause some serious delay.

If you are asking so that when you open a screen you want the tags to be redirected. For example you have 30 VFDs on devicenet & you want to create one diagnostic screen for all the drives and at runtime you direct which tags to point the screen too. In RSViewME and the other Rockwell HMI products this is referred to a parameter file. When you open the screen you specify which parameter file to load with the screen. The parameter file is a text file which looks similar to the following:

!===== Parameter File created 08/16/04=============================
! Parameter files are used with graphic displays to specify the tags a
! display uses at runtime. The parameter file is passed to the graphic
! using the /P option of the Display command.
! Syntax:
! #replacement=tagname
! Example:
! #23=A_COLOR
! #23 in any expression in a graphic would be replaced by the tag A_COLOR.
!============================================================
#3=Dnet\Node02\VFDReady
#4=Dnet\Node02\VFDActive
#5=Dnet\Node02\VFDAlarm
#6=Dnet\Node02\VFDFlt

Best of luck,

Darren