Industrial Arm Robots / Cobots

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone, not sure if here is the right place to post this topic!

Our company is starting to get hands on industrial robots, so we are thinking of buying a used robot. Our aim is to use FANUC/KUKA/UR robots/cobots.

Is there a place you guys know where you can buy used robots for learning ? that are in good shape and price ?

Do you see this reasonable ? Any ideas or questions are welcome!

Thanks!

Just a suggestion.

Pick what you want to use, and go to the manufacturer for training. Or even better, go do training on your top three picks, keep an open mind, then compare strengths and weaknesses of each.

I've had both Motoman and Fanuc factory training. Time well spent.

Additionally, both have courses tailored to end use, i.e. general assembly, welding, material handling, palletizing.

In my opinion, buying used robots is a bit risky if you don't know enough about them to rebuild. Additionally, controllers and software evolve. If you are serious about it, you'll be buying new robots for production. Might as well learn with the latest and greatest.

Robots are relatively cheap.

Andy

Hello everyone, not sure if here is the right place to post this topic!

Our company is starting to get hands on industrial robots, so we are thinking of buying a used robot. Our aim is to use FANUC/KUKA/UR robots/cobots.

Is there a place you guys know where you can buy used robots for learning ? that are in good shape and price ?

Do you see this reasonable ? Any ideas or questions are welcome!

Thanks!

Hi, one of the first things I learned about collaborative robots is that they are very slow. On an interview at a supplier I had asked why a particular robot was green and it was explained to me that it could work in proximity to humans safely. However, they had put up a fence and a safety gate because it was so slow they apparently installed different software and "sped things up". You may want to consider this. And this was 2 or 3 years ago, maybe things have changed. Hope this helps.

Hi, one of the first things I learned about collaborative robots is that they are very slow. On an interview at a supplier I had asked why a particular robot was green and it was explained to me that it could work in proximity to humans safely. However, they had put up a fence and a safety gate because it was so slow they apparently installed different software and "sped things up". You may want to consider this. And this was 2 or 3 years ago, maybe things have changed. Hope this helps.

I find this funny as there's groups in academia whose goal is to create a robot that can play football with a human, but disregard the practicality that comes from the much, much higher mass of a robot. Still, they come up with impressive things, just not to be used alongside humans.