Industrial communication standards

mikas_m

Hello,

I'm interested in standard ways of connecting PLCs from different manufacturers. For example, I know there are examples of communications between Siemens and ABB PLCs.
Which communication standards must be supported by equipment in order to be sure that reliable communication will be possible?
Profibus and Profinet (industrial ethernet) are standard ways of communication between PLC and automation equipment.
I know many of you have experience connecting AB and Siemens PLCs and wonder what protocols are used and what needs to be stated in specifications, so I know for sure that communication is possible?
I guess Ethernet is by far more popular.

I'm asking this question because we plan to modernize one part of the plant this year and other part next year, so it is possible to get two different PLCs. I want to have communication and signal exchange between these two systems and need to specify now what standard protocols must be supported in order to have future PLC communicating without any problems.

I didn't decide whether it will be PROFIBUS or Industrial ethernet (Profinet).
is it sufficient to specify that future PLC must support EN 50170 v2 if it's going to be Profibus or IEEE 802.3 if it's going to be Profinet?

Thanks

Last edited:
Network Communication Topology

Normally when we set about designing a plant/factory we set up a network Topology whih will define all communication on Levels.

Level 1 - Remote IO hardwired ET 200 Profibus example
Level 2 - Communication between motors and CPU to be profibus example.
Level 3 - InterPLC Communication to be Ethernet
Level 4 - PLC--> Scada Communication to be Ethernet

If you define this well , it is always understood what equipment to use and prepare for.

R

is it sufficient to specify that future PLC must support EN 50170 v2 if it's going to be Profibus or IEEE 802.3 if it's going to be Profinet?
You have not specified nearly enough what the various communication partners shall "communicate".
But for sure, neither "EN 50170 v2" nor "IEEE 802.3" are enough to make certain that various components from different manufacturers can communicate with each other.

PLCs from different manufacturers do not work and play well with each other as a general rule.

The closest thing to "universal" communications is serial Modbus RTU, which most PLCs can accommodate with the right extra cards or, in some cases, as an alternate on their CPU port(s). In the Ethernet Regime Ethernet/IP and Modbus/TCP are both widely supported.

OK, so it seems that there are less trouble when communicating using industrial ethernet.
Do you know examples of successful communication between AB and Siemens PLC using industrial ethernet?
I'll specify that future PLC must communicate with the existing one S7-315 with Industrial ethernet. It's safer that way