insert ladder in word document

arrghh

A
Have any of you a technique of inserting ladder diagrams (RSLogix 5000) into a Word document?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. The .pdf thing is not working out.

I have used the print screen to paste a rung or two in word documents. It depends on how many rungs and how compex the rung is. This works for simple rung. You can also hit the print screen key and paste it in paint to cut or modify it with comments and arrows then copy into word.

One at a time

In Logix, select the rung and press CTRL+C.

In Word, select Edit | Paste Special.
Choose type Bitmap (default is text). Uncheck "Float over text"

The rung will be pasted in as a bitmap. It will even be resized to fix across the margins (even if you couldn't view the entire rung with Logix).

Unfortunately, this only works for a rung at a time. If you select more than one rung, you loose the bitmap option.

You can also use MS Paint as an intermediary, pasting several rungs (still one at a time) in Paint, manuevering them the way you want, and then copying THAT into Word.

I have used the screen captures for a few rungs also. A colleague has been asked to put the entire ladder (many pages) into Word format. Gov't project...go figure. I played with Acrobat for a bit to try and help him. Just thought someone might offer something nifty that they've done to insert an entire file into Word.

Thanks for your help.

Allen's suggestion above does work for more than one rung at a time. When selecting the rungs in RSL5000, hold the 'CTRL' key while selecting all of the rungs you want. The catch is, Word automatically tries to make all of the selected rungs fit into one page. Best thing would be to only select 5 or 10 rungs at a time then paste(special) into a new page in Word.

I have a couple of samples attached.

The customer's asking for the entire project in a Word document indicates they don't understand how ladder logic software works.

Your best bet is to purchase Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not just the reader) and print the program to a pdf file. The customer can then view it and read it with the free reader, but not modify it.

If they just want a couple of rungs as part of the O & M manual or such, then the above techniques will work fine.

Yes, if you use Acrobat, just select to print the project, and then on the print screen, instead of selecting the printer, select Distiller. When you press OK, a save as dialogue opens up to allow you to save the file as a Acrobat PDF.

The best solution to print to a PDF file I've found so far is PDF995 . It installs a pdf printer. When printing a project you simply select printer "PDF995" and give the filenaam and location where you want it to be. It's free to download, but every time you print something to the pdf printer, you get to see a sponsor webpage from PDF995. You can get around this by paying $9.95 for a personal key, but I've not found this necessary so far.

I'll attach an example of the output you'll get from this package.

Kind regards,

I am quite surprised the "pdf thing" is not working. I use it all the time. What problems are you having?
beerchug

I use a screen capture program called "Snagit".

Once you get used to it, you can insert rungs as pictures quickly, but it is still only a screen capture program.

I then use the word picture formatting tools to modify what is displayed (ie crop the image, etc)

Last edited:
Another way of printing pdf's is to use a software package called GhostView which is a free download. Setup a printer to print to a file. This will work for anything such as a Word doc, Excel sheet or Cad drawing. Use the Ghostview program to open up the prn file and with one step will convert to a pdf document. The only drawback is that you will not get a TOC or thumbnail view that you can get with Adobe Writer.

PDF995 uses Ghostview as it's engine - anything you can do in Ghostview, you can do here. PDF995 is just a front end that makes it a little cleaner (in my opinion).

PDFEdit (from the same company as PDF995) allows you to add book marks, web links, watermarks, and a handful of other useful things. It also allows some level of automation. It is a little awkward, but once you get used to it, it works pretty well. The big limitation is that you are "editing" only the last PDF printed to the PDF995 printer. Like PDF995 it also is free (with sponsor page), or $9.95 for a license key.

Of course, it's a Logix 5000 project and the Government client has specified Microsoft Word format.... so let's give 'em Words !

Import the *.L5K text file into Word and tell 'em that's the way it looks. You can sorta see the ladder if you squint.

Hello

With TI PLCs, used to print to file. Then change all characters to non-proportional like courier. It was just a .txt file, could copy into any document.

Sorry, I can't remember my password, ID, etc.