Install Logix designer v28 to upload

Bigtime

I see similar questions but not exactly what I’m looking for in the history. But my problem is…. I’m trying to upload a program from a 1769-l33er with version 28.11 and Studio 5000 all that is listed is version 36. I downloaded all the revisions from the Rockwell website but am not seeing them on studio 5000. What am I doing wrong? Every time I try to upload it says install Logix designer v28.00

One thing you have to get used to with Studio5000 is that there is no such thing as backwards compatibility. Major hardware versions and software versions must match. Also unlike most software, you can install multiple versions on the same machine.

So, in order to upload that v28 controller, you need to install Studio5000 v28.

That is correct. You should be able to download and install any of the previous versions you need without purchasing a new license for them. You just need to have your serial number and product key handy to download them.

So what is the firmware I downloaded for? The plc only?
Probably. You can download the firmware separately. You could now flash the firmware revs you downloaded, but you can't create/open a project in any other major revision of software than what you currently have installed.

Attachments

• capture-20240221-110642.png
    capture-20240221-110642.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
Depending on how many versions you are going to be working with, you might want to look into the multi-version installer package. Personally, I have most versions from 10-34 installed on my machine. I had to install 10, 16, and 19 separately, but V20 and on was much quicker and easier with that.

Your license should allow you to download, install, and run older versions for free. All you need is your serial number and product key.

Your license should allow you to download, install, and run older versions for free. All you need is your serial number and product key.
I guess that’s what I’m having a problem figuring out. Where to find these older versions. I found the firmware for the device but I guess I need the software version too. Where do I find that?

Cool. Seems to be working so far. But at 6.4 gb this computer is going to get too small fast with multiple versions.
Which brings me to the question…… if I upload it with version 28 and flash the drive with version 36. Can I use that program that was used on version 28 on the plc that’s now version 36? Could I just change some settings?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 2
Your options are leave it at 28 and go get a beer. Or upload the program to get a copy. Flash the controller to v36. Open the v28 copy > Controller Properties > Change Controller, select software version 36. It will convert the program to v36. Then download it to the controller.

Personally, I'd stick with v28.

BTW, the installer is large, but the installed software won't be that big.