Interfacing SLC 5/05 and PanelView 600

garodrig

Hi, I'm kind of new to this forum and also new to programming and working with PLC's.

I'm trying to develop an application at work interfacing a SLC 5/05 with a PanelView 600 through my LAN. I set it up in PanelBuilder for both devices using the 5/05 as a node with its ip address and it station address and I'm not able to communicate to any of the two devices after that. Maybe it is a newbie thing whats happening to me but I would appreciate it if someone can help me on this or point me in the right direction because this is eating me up.

Thanks

Tavo

I'm not clear from your post as to whether you gave the Panelview it's own distinct node address (different than the 5/05). Or if it's a E-net Panelview. Can you please clarify?

My current setup is as follows

Panelview 600
RsLinx Driver: Ethernet Device
Station 0
ipAddress 192.168.1.230
subnet 255.255.255.0

SLC 5/05
RSLinx Driver: Ethernet Device
station 1
ipaddress 192.168.1.231
subnet 255.255.255.0

Don't know if that is what you wanted but there it is

Try to PING each of the above device's IP addresses...

Give more details if possible.

What exactly do you mean by "I'm not able to communicate to any of the two devices after that "?

Does this indicate that you could communicate at some time with one of the devices?

Have you ever established comms. with either device?

Have you ever used ethernet to communicate with an AB PLC or Panelview?

Do the Panelview and PLC seem to be communicating with each other?

Do you know the difference between standard patch cable and a crossover cable and when to use each?

If you cannot communicate with either, how do you know what their IP addresses are?

What else is on the network besides the SLC, Panelview, and the PC you are using?

Do not take my questions as an insult. I am trying to get a feel for what your real problem is.

I'm doing this in a hurry but "Station" in RSLinx is always "00". You don't change this when you go to a different node address. Try setting your Station back to 00.

Rube-
For the ethernet driver in RSLinx, the "station" is a number given to each IP address entered.

It is not the same as the "station" when configuring a DH+/DH-485 driver.

First of all thanks for answering my question.

I am able to communicate with both devices. That is how I was able to assign the ip addresses. The PV and the PLC are connected through a normal rj-45 cable to an ethernet hub(the same one my computer uses). I am able to do programming for one device at a time but if I try to make some kind of communication between the devices then nothing works.

I am using PanelBuilder 32 version 3.80 and RSLinx 2.42

The SLC 5/05 has 3 modules.

1 Basic Module
1 16-Input module
1 16-Relay output module

I have used PLC's and have done some PV programming but this is the first time I have done it from scratch. The last time I used PLC and PV working together it was already setup, all I had to do is modify what was programmed.

Thanks again

Also some more info.

The devices in rslinx are under the same driver. This means that I am using the same AB-ETH-1 driver entry for both devices. That is why it uses different station ids

Thanks

Thanks 93--I realized that when I read my notes from my last job, which is where we used e-net. We don't use it here (yet). I was about to post my mistake when I read your post.

So...

You are able to see both the SLC and Panelview in RSLinx, at the same time?

If this is true and they are actually appearing at the IP address that you described above, The comms between the Panelview and SLC should be OK.

What do you mean by "for one device at a time but if I try to make some kind of communication between the devices"?

If the Panelview, SLC, and PC are already connected to a hub and you have successfully connected from the PC the the SLC and the Panelview (without unplugging anything or moving cables) they should already be communicating.

There is nothing you can do to "start" communications between the SLC and Panelview.

Any chance you can Zip the .pba and .rss and attach it. I would like to see what you have set up.

In the PanelBuilder32 application, open the 'communication' setting window, under 'application settings', where you set the IP address of the PV. Beneath that right click in the 'Node address' area and enter the IP address of SLC. Select SLC 5/05. Click on the Help button on that window for more information.

Last edited:
A couple more quick questions....

What makes you think that the SLC and the Panelview are not communicating?

On the back of the Panelview, you should have a green LED labeled COMM, what is it doing (flashing or on steady)?