Internal Coil Addressing

megaherz

RSLogix 5000
Addressing an Input and Output requires creating 'New Module' and Alias for a physical location of either of those.....NOW, how do I address an internal bit, i get that it's B3:0/0 or whatever, but where do I get it?

The default addressing for Inputs and Outputs start with the word "Local". You will see the slot, the Input or Output type is shown. Some have Control (C) locations associated with them.

You can use these default addresses as they are or you can create another name, an "alias", for these and, in the setup of the alias, define which of these default addresses the alias refers to.

If this does not help please give more information with an example of what you are trying to achieve.

ok, say I'm limited on the amount of lights I have, and I want to use an internal coil to latch a button
i have the button tagged to the DC Input module as Local.1:I.Data.0, and output as Local.2:O.Data.0

Local.1:I.Data.0
---] [---------------------------------------------------( )-----

---] [---parallel with input

----------------------------------------------------->Local.2:O.Data.0
---] [---------------------------------------------------( )------

so i want to have an internal coil on the first rung latch the input, and also latch the output on the second rung, how do I do it, because people told me to just type it in "B3:5/0" and what not, I've tried just typing it in, but it comes out as a 'Name' and not a 'Tag'

Why are you talking about B3:0/0 with RSLogix5000? That is RSLogix500 addressing.

For RSLogix5000 there is no "addressing" of internal relays. That is done tranparently to you. You only reference the tag name.

my bad, I read too much filler, I got it mixed up
so you would insert a new OTE and create new tag and just give it a name and that will work?

In a new program, except for the defined I/O addressing (Local xxxx) there are no other memory areas pre-assigned. One method to set up an internal coil is to just make up a name, for example "internal_coil_1". Assign this to the output of your first rung, but it won't accept it. You must actually 'create' the tag. Right click on the tag name you just typed, "internal_coil_1" and you will receive a window. Define that the tag is a BOOLean as suggested. Upon closing the tag is created. Assign this same tag, "internal_coil_1" as the latching contact and the conditional contact on the next rung.

Verify that this works then we can discuss methods of creating Boolean tags which are less wasteful of memory as this method occupies a full 32 bits for one on/off tag.

cool, first straight answer in 3 weeks,
As always, the usefulness of any answers that you receive here depends totally on the details and descriptions in your questions. Ask a poorly-worded question, and you will not get much useful information.

I realize that you might not know enough to ask good questions. It is the old chicken-and-egg problem, but you have to try and ask specific and detailed questions. The more details, the better. This site does not charge for extra descriptive terms.

Last edited:
In a new program, except for the defined I/O addressing (Local xxxx) there are no other memory areas pre-assigned. One method to set up an internal coil is to just make up a name, for example "internal_coil_1". Assign this to the output of your first rung, but it won't accept it. You must actually 'create' the tag. Right click on the tag name you just typed, "internal_coil_1" and you will receive a window. Define that the tag is a BOOLean as suggested. Upon closing the tag is created. Assign this same tag, "internal_coil_1" as the latching contact and the conditional contact on the next rung.

Verify that this works then we can discuss methods of creating Boolean tags which are less wasteful of memory as this method occupies a full 32 bits for one on/off tag.

You got me..!!!
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong for the last 4 years....

Thanks in advance!

Jack

If you want a lot of Temporary Bits in your tag editor define a tag called Temporary_Bit and define it as a DINT. You will now have 32 bits Starting at Temporary_Bit.0 to use in your code. You can add a Description for each bit as required.