Internal Coil Rslogix 500 Micro

Lookout

Hi all,

Total noob here (2nd day on RSlogix500(free))try not to laugh :)

Why does an internal relay not activate simultaneously with an input?

---[ ]---------

I seem to have to toggle it, unlike if it was just two inputs where the power would just pass right through.

Welcome to the forum!
Don't worry about someone laughing , we are here to help.
A few more details please.
Are you using an actual plc or emulator? If plc, give model and number.
What are the addresses of the internal relay and input?

this is just a GUESS - but based on what you're asking, you've probably put the "mystery" rung in some Ladder File other than File #2 ...

TIP: File #2 is the only file that gets executed/scanned/read by the processor automatically ... other files require some type of mechanism (that YOU must provide) to tell the processor to "go execute this other file" ... usually a JSR (Jump to Subroutine) is the easiest way to set this up ...

you might also consider temporarily moving/copying the "problem" rung into Ladder File #2 - and see if it works there ...

if this doesn't help - it is usually VERY helpful if you can post your ENTIRE program file (.RSS) ... you'll have to zip it first - forum rule ...

Last edited:
Since you're a self-described 'total noob' I'll go ahead and ask, is the processor in RUN mode?

That indication is found as a black on green rectangle in the upper left of the RSLogix screen

run = the processor is executing code

remote program = software is off-line and program can be edited - you will not be able to see current processor status

Last edited:
try not to laugh :)

No way Jose, People like yourself posting questions here helps many, myself included. I began a journey to learn 5000 recently since I hadn't programmed anything but 500 for years and honestly had forgotten much of that.
Now I see, from reading here often, that 500 is still a valuable skill to have so, I have downloaded the free 500 micro and hope to hone those old skills. I am going to, once again, purchase Prologix software which was an invaluable 500 learning tool for me a few years ago. (The forget factor has increased as I near 50.) People on here are worth their weight in gold at least.

I hope you continue to learn and post questions here.

Thanks,

Jeff

Your pictures show an input and an internal bit with an output coil. In the first, since the internal bit is not yet TRUE the output is not energized. In the second, since both the input and the internal are both TRUE the output is energized.

This seems normal. What did you expect to happen in the first picture? The logic is testing if both of the items toward the left hand side are TRUE. If they are then the output on the right hand side would be energized.

Something has to write to that bit (B3:0/0) e.g an "OTE" instruction , a HMI/SCADA writing to that bit, toggling it as you found out. Or any number of other instruction within the PLC program to turn on that bit. It (B3:0/0) is not going to turn on just because the input ahead of it on the same rung turns on.