INTOUCH to 9030 via topserver

jrh22611

I am fighting with the 9030-311. ITS WINNING.

I have software toolbox as my server between WW Intouch and the GE 9030-311. I can get all of my inputs to display and comm to the Wonderware but when I try and setup an output object (switch, pushbutton) to the 9030-311 it just will not allow inputs anyone have any help or advise? Do these have to be done with word bits? Special registers?

Thanks

John

First. let's make sure I understand your situation.
I can get all of my inputs to display and comm to the Wonderware
I interpret this to mean that the PLC inputs (%Ixxxx) are displayed properly on the WW screen, changing color (or whatever animation you've set up) when the input changes state.

What memory are you using when WW tries to write to the PLC? Is the address assigned to an input or output module? If you're trying to have WW write to %I memory and that address is assigned to an input module, the PLC's I/O scan will overwrite whatever value WW tries to set.

Ww - Ge9030

Mr Baily,

Inputs function fine via OPC top server to Intouch Wonderware %I's are setup in the OPC tag name list in OPC server and I can watch the state change for the inputs.

Outputs are not, I can set up the tags both in the 9030 the OPC top server and the Wonderware when I select a switch or pushbutton to on ( I am using %M's to connect to outputs in the 9030 -[m]--------(%Q)-- I can read the event in opc topserver see the tag go from 0 to 1 from wonderware but the 9030 is not reading the tag (testM1) but the opc server sees it goes high and low.

Now when I select an output via the 9030 say %I002 to trigger %Q002 then the wonderware sees the transition as an input to the wonderware. I am baffled as to why all the input tags are working but not the outputs via OPC server. I am using is software tool box as the connection is via the com 1 port to the programmer port this seems to work well. I am using boolean tags for both inputs and outputs. Still I wonder what I am doing wrong the PLC is a 9030-311. Any clues as to why the (%Mxxx's do not trigger via WW)? there is nothing else in the program over writing the M's I checked.

Many thanks

John Hayes

Can you successfully write anything from WW to the PLC? Try creating integer tags as well as Boolean tags. Set up a tag for each memory type and try writing to it.

Since WW can read, you know the problem is not in the cable or the port setup. Does WW create any sort of error log file that you can check to see if it has anything to tell you? What addresses are you using for the %M tags? The upper limit in a CPU311 is %M1024.

Are you sure that your %M tags are boolean and not integer? Are you sure that the driver lets you write to a single boolean bit? The SNP protocol permits bit writes, but it's up to the author of the driver to implement it.

How does WW interpret offsets for boolean memory? In the 90-30, addresses start at 1, not at zero. %M0009 in the PLC might be something like 0.8 in WW.

Troubleshooting is difficult with this CPU since you only have a single serial port. You can't view the %M memory table with your programming software while WW is connected. In case the problem is in the way the driver calculates offsets from the start of %M memory, create a tag in WW that toggles the bit rather than a momentary. Open a reference view table of %M memory and save a screen capture of the values. Connect WW and toggle the bit. Then reconnect your programming software and check to see if any bit in %M memory has changed

Another thing to check is that the PLC is not password protected. If there is a level 2 or greater password on the PLC you may be able to Read and not Write.
Also verify with your OPC server that you do/donot need an SNP ID.
It may be possable to read without an ID but if the OPC driver is outputting an ID that is not 'NULL' and not 'Equal' to the PLC it will confuse a CPU.

Last edited:
9030-311 Now Active! I/O Working

After slugging through the 9030-311 I realized that even though I was online - changes to the variables are not stored unless you update the PLC with the changes by uploading them. DUH!!!

When you ESC -- F1 -- exit it saves the changes only in the program folder on your PC even though it says that the controller has been updated!

All I/O interfacing via topserver and Wonderware Intouch are functioning properly now.

Lesson learned by the trail and patience method.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!!

John