ipad

Nope. You need to setup the apps you want on a machine such as a laptop desktop or server then RDP into it with the Ipad.

Windows applications like rslogix can not be run on a IOS platform like Ipad. You can write a scecif IOS app that works the same as the windows flavor in some instances but something that has the functions of logix would be a tall order.

With the introduction of Windows 8 coming in October, expect to see a slew of iPad competitors running Windows 8. Microsoft themselves will be offering their own tablets named "Surface". See their promo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo

Look for tablets running Windows 8 Pro. These will be fully Windows machines that will run traditional Windows applications. So you will be able to run your Windows program directly from a tablet.

There will also be Windows RT tablets that will not run traditional "desktop" programs but will be more "app" based and will run applications designed for Windows 8. This hardware will be lower cost and will be more of an iPad competitor. The Pro machines will be much more capable than tablets today and will be much more like a notebook.

There will be Win8 tablets from most traditional PC makers and I personally can't wait to get my hands on them.

* update * I have loaded RSLogix 5000 v20 and RSLinx 2.59.1 on a notebook with Windows 8 and had no problems going online with my CLX controller. I did have to turn off UAC in Windows.

OG

Last edited:
Hey, if I'm going to load Windows 8 why not put RSLogix on it! I had a spare laptop and I had RSLogix ("there was no danger"). How could I not? :)

I'm using Win8 on my home PC and Win 7 on my laptop. Win8 has a little learning curve, but I am very happy with Win8 so far. I find myself using Win8 keystrokes in Win7 and realizing they don't work there. For example, the Win key functionality has been greatly expanded in Win8.

There will be strong opinions on Win8. Lots of people will hate it and lots of people will swear off and proclaim the fall of Microsoft. It is a bold move by Microsoft. But when you use the same interface on your PC, your tablet, your phone, even an Xbox, it will make a lot of sense.

OG

I'm sorry to have hijacked this thread with Win8 info.

What I was getting at, but got myself sidetracked on, was that while there are remote access apps for Android and IOS, they are essentially remotely accessing a Windows machine that has the software you need. A Win8 tablet on the other hand will have the software you need available on the tablet itself.

That was my point.

OG

I am with ya OG. Waiting for a surface tablet myself and I have already ran some rockwell software on win 8 also on hardware and a VM.

If only we could run IOS in a VM or the reverse.

Does anyone know if there is an app available for ipad or android to access Global Drive Control or RS Logix ??

Nope. You need to setup the apps you want on a machine such as a laptop desktop or server then RDP into it with the Ipad.

I use "Splashtop Desktop" or a VNC app on my Android tablet for a similar purpose. Both are available for IOS as well.

To be honest, without a keyboard, mouse and a large screen, using RS Logix is a bother. The tablet is significantly more useful for viewing a HMI screen however. 🔨

I have a ipad case that has a builtin bluetooth keyboard and I have it taking notes in class anyways but I Have had to remote in and chnage something during class on the ipad with logix so it does come in handy but it can be cumbersome if you use a desktop and mouse a lot.