ir sensor

derekw

Hello.

I have been trying to get a Raytek Thermalert 6 system to measure temperature of molten iron. about 2500 degrees F

In the menu choices of this device
thermalert6.gif

I have selected the external device as 'none' and an emmisivity of .10.

Should I be selecting the appropriate tc as the external device? Even tho it is not actually a thermocouple?

The device is showing a temperature 30 degrees F higher than it should.

As i have no documentation for this device(s), I am at a loss.

I will try to contact Raytek regarding this model. But they no longer list it as a product for sale.

thank you,

derek

Forgive me but it's been awhile since chemistry class, but I thought the emissivity of molten iron would be higher than that?

thanks for the link. can the emissivity setting be used to scale this device to read correctly. i was hoping somebody would be familiar with this particular device pictured.

thanks

Not familiar with that particular device, but what seems odd is that 30F isn't that far off, so if you change the emissivity to a range that molten iron is supposed to be at (around .29) I think that the reading would be farther off.

yes, i think if the emissivity is changed to .3 from .1 the reading would be farther off. also, i made a mistake in the posting. the reading is much further off than 30 degrees. it is reading 3000 instead of 2500.
bitlog.gif