Is it possible to detect double-tap in FT View ME?

Yashka

Hi All
The subject is my question: is it possible to detect double-tap on the screen in FT View ME?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All
The subject is my question: is it possible to detect double-tap on the screen in FT View ME?

Thanks in advance!

There is no "double-tap" event built into FactoryTalk View Studio ME objects. You'd have to build something yourself in the PLC, you'd be at the mercy of the screens update rate.

There is no "double-tap" event built into FactoryTalk View Studio ME objects. You'd have to build something yourself in the PLC, you'd be at the mercy of the screens update rate.

Ok. THX.
I'll be found another way to differentiate between operators' taps. I need to do two different actions by tapping on the one screen element.

Ok. THX.
I'll be found another way to differentiate between operators' taps. I need to do two different actions by tapping on the one screen element.

Have a tap action, and then a multisecond hold action actuated by a timer.

However.. a tap and a double tap.. Why specifically that? Two buttons would be better to ensure the desired action is taken.

I wonder if you could do something clever* with stacked buttons, events and macros...

Button 1 when pressed sets a HMI tag Single_Click to true.

Button 2 when pressed sets a HMI tag Double_Click to true.

Visibility of Button 1 is tied to Single_Click, so when you click it, it becomes invisible.

Configure an event that runs a macro when Single_Click is true. The macro should:

- Wait 500ms (or whatever length you determine as your double click limit)

- If Double_Click is true, set the “Double Click” tag in the PLC
- If Double_Click is false set the “Single Click” tag in the PLC

- Set Single_Click and Double_Click HMI tags to false

So basically, when you click the top button, it disappears. If you also click the bottom button before the top button reappears, it is interpreted as a double click and signalled accordingly.

*I have never tried this sort of thing in FTView ME, I have no idea if you can get this sort of functionality out of an event and a macro, and if you can I’m not completely convinced that “clever” is really the best word to describe it. Morbidly fascinating perhaps?

I wonder if you could do something clever* with stacked buttons, events and macros...

*I have never tried this sort of thing in FTView ME, I have no idea if you can get this sort of functionality out of an event and a macro, and if you can I’m not completely convinced that “clever” is really the best word to describe it. Morbidly fascinating perhaps?
Just for your information.
FTV ME doesn't have VBA, touch animation, and true macros. Those macros that are present in ME only can set some value to some tag. But the idea is good. I'll try to implement it on the PLC side.

Button 1 when pressed sets a HMI tag Single_Click to true.

Button 2 when pressed sets a HMI tag Double_Click to true.

Visibility of Button 1 is tied to Single_Click, so when you click it, it becomes invisible.

Configure an event that runs a macro when Single_Click is true. The macro should:

- Wait 500ms (or whatever length you determine as your double click limit)

- If Double_Click is true, set the “Double Click” tag in the PLC
- If Double_Click is false set the “Single Click” tag in the PLC

- Set Single_Click and Double_Click HMI tags to false

So basically, when you click the top button, it disappears. If you also click the bottom button before the top button reappears, it is interpreted as a double click and signalled accordingly.

I did essentially that with PeakHMI at one point to get manual control of a system.
Click the "Request manual" button, it would disappear and a "Confirm Manual" would appear. Click that to set the system to manual mode. A banner would appear that all float levels are bypassed.

The concern I have with a double click is the speed needed for a double click to be seen. to quick and the timers won't see it, to slow and the same. Make it to tight and it may see only a single click and execute the unwanted function.

Last edited:
Bad idea. Work with the limitation of the HMI to produce the most user friendly interaction.

A "shift" key would be preferable to a DoubleClick that works intermittently.

But the real question is ,why? What are the requirements you are trying to satisfy?

Just for your information.
FTV ME doesn't have VBA, touch animation, and true macros. Those macros that are present in ME only can set some value to some tag. But the idea is good. I'll try to implement it on the PLC side.
Thanks, yes I was aware of the lack of VBA and the limitations on macros. It wouldn't be quite as simple as I described, but I still wonder if it could be achieved in some sort of clever* way. For example, where I say "if the single click tag and the double click tag are true, then set this other tag to true", maybe you could create a derived tag that is true when single_click and double_click are true, and then set the target tag to the value of that derived tag? And as for the delay, perhaps there's a way for event handlers to wait for a set time before executing? I'm not sure, I've never used event handlers much, and only limited use of macros. If I need that level of functionality, generally I'm using something more powerful than FTiew ME (a comment which is manifestly unhelpful, I know).

*ugly

Double-tapped controls on a touch screen is why people get shot.

Double-tapped controls on FTME is why people get shot again.

Double-tapped controls on a touch screen is why people get shot.

Double-tapped controls on FTME is why people get shot again.
Oh this is undoubtedly an exercise in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" :ROFLMAO: