Is there a way to edit Rockwell FTView Parameter Files outside FTView?

slick_william

Hello!

I am working with a project that uses lots of Parameter files to pass information between screens.

When I open the parameter file in FactoryTalk View Studio v11.0 (and also when I close it), there is a slight delay of maybe 5 seconds where FTView sort of freezes while opening or closing the file.

Since I am working with these files often, the time adds up. I am wondering if there is a directory somewhere that these files are stored (surely they are a text file), and maybe I can edit them in Notepad or something to save some time.

I will have a look around the OIT Application folders, but does anyone know if / where these files are stored and if they can be edited outside of FactoryTalk View Studio?

Thanks!
- W

Yes. They are just simple text files so you can use Notepad or your favorite "Notepad-like" tool.

OG

Edit: Sorry, missed the part asking where. Replace ME with SE for View SE.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\Your Project Name Here\PAR

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I worked with parameter files, but I believe once you create all the "New" or "Existing" parameter that you will be using for the project they are saved in the FTView project folder in the PAR folder and you can edit them from there.

This folder is typically in this location format... C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\*Name_of_your_project\PAR

I like using Notepad++ to edit the .par files

I did exactly what you guys said and it worked like a charm! This will save me tons of time developing as my first PanelView application used about 20 parameter files and I probably spent tens of hours just waiting for them to load :cry:

Thank you for the old-school knowledge. It works great if you create the parameter file in FTView Studio ME and then edit it in Notepad (FTView Studio doesn't seem to see the file if you just create it in Notepad to begin with).

Thanks again!

You can create it in Notepad first. But once you are done, you must tell Studio they exist. Go back to Studio and right-click on Parameters and select Add Component.

You can browse to the folder with the PAR files (it should open to the correct folder) and using your CTRL key, you can select multiple files and add them all at once. Once you do that, then you can see them in Studio.

OG