Issue with speed of Red Lion CSMSTRGT

waynesun95

I am currently developing an HMI via the Red Lion CSMSTRGT. I have a very small number of tags that I want to be able to log and adjust tag values of via the user interface, but have run into the problem of the speed of the user interface.

An example of this is when I try and set a string tag using the virtual keypad on the user interface. When I click on a character or number on the keypad, it takes a second to register and display on the screen (it almost seems like the program is "sampling" keypad inputs on an interval of 1 second). This makes it very long to set tag values involving a large number of characters, and is just an annoyance in general. For example, if I type "qwertyuiop" at a normal speed, it will only register as "qtip"

I am developing this HMI for customer use, and would like to optimize the speed in order to make a more user friendly product, and was wondering if there was any way to speed up the speed of the Red Lion. Any help is appreciated.

I've never used that particular device, but with most Red Lion products, the user interface is very responsive.

Is this string tied directly to a device through a communication port?

If so, perhaps things would work as you desire if you stored the string as an internal tag and then wrote it to the device address after the entry is completed. this is simply a guess.

I have used the Red Lion Data Station with a browser as a virtual HMI and noticed some lag depending on which browser I used and network conditions. I have had the best performance when using Google Chrome browser.

In one case, I saw the performance improve after leaving the browser up and running for a few minutes. Each time I connected, the performance was sluggish, and then would get better after a few minutes. That case was for remote access to a G310, not a data station, and it was not all that important in day to day operations which were normally handled by the real touchscreen of the G310 so I did not pursue a definitive answer.