Issues Importing Comments to RSLogix5000 V20/V19

Olly1441

Hi, I have been using V19 and V20 RSLogix PLCs for a while now and have always been able to import tag comments to an ACD file offline then, go online to the PLC without having to upload or download. However, recently I have come across a bunch of PLCs that require an upload/download after importing comments in order to go back online. Uploads remove the new comments that I am trying to import and downloading is not an option for the site which runs 24/7.

Any ideas what is causing this issue?

I have checked that there are no new tags in the import file and the import summary shows that only comments have been imported/overwritted (no tags).

I appreciate any assistance offered.

I have little experience with versions newer than 19 but I have some ideas:
1. Go online, (correlate the project, get it saved). Import the comments while online, then save again. I am not sure this is possible, but I do it frequently with RSLogix500 files.
2. Is it possible that the comments are stored in the PLC for newer installations? Could that be throwing up a speed bump for you?

HI OkiePC, thanks for the help.

Comments aren't stored in the PLC for versions 19&20. I think that starts with version 28/ L8x processors), or maybe it was version 24...

Importing comments has to be done offline in versions 19&20.

It does seem, however, that it works now if I save the offline file after importing the tags, but before I try to go online....very strange. Never had to do that before.

In fact, don't like having to do the save first because if you accidently have a new tag or something incompatible with the live code in your import, you then cannot go online without causing a disruption and you no longer have the original file you were online with because you have just saved over it so now you have to make an additional copy of the ACD file before doing the import as a backup....

Oh well.

Save As...

You can always go back and blow away old or redundant copies later, but it never hurts to have too many copies of a program. Having too few (like zero) is often quite painful though.

Comments aren't stored in the PLC for versions 19&20. I think that starts with version 28/ L8x processors), or maybe it was version 24...

It started with v21, i.e. the first version of Studio 5000.Logix Designer (as opposed to RSLogix 5000).

It also requires a PLC which has the physical memory area to store the documentation - this means 5370 CompactLogix or newer, and L7x Control Logix and newer.