IT policy, I can't change my IP address on my laptop.

tragically1969,

Your .bat file method is too cool. I had not heard of that before, but it works great.

We have a couple of stand-alone systems where the IP addresses are completely different and the boss says "no" to making them all in the same family. Now I have a way to quickly change from one to another.

Thanks.

Steve

I'm glad that I have full control over the PC I use, I am surprised to see that none less but Alaric
has this problem. I would also try talking the to IT guys as this is not going to help.

They should be able to justify the move and come up with exceptions.
Does locking IP addresses make network any more stable or secure? To make some damage on the network,
one would have to connect to it. You are already connected (even though you can't change the address).
So what is the danger if you can change the address so you are not part of that network?
The only one I can think of is connecting to foreign networks and having PC infected if that
network is messed up (we have few customers who's IT departments are unable to clean up...
when connecting to such network, my AV keeps on screaming...).

A procedure may be resolution (require most up to date version of scanner and definitions, firewall up
and running, running full scan before and after trip, definitely before connecting back to workplace network...)

Take the laptop to your IT Guys....

Explain the problem.........

If they dont understand, explain again being a little clearer....

If they dont understand, explain again being a little bit more clearer....

If they dont understand, explain again being a big bit clearer....

If they dont understand, explain again being a enormous amount clearer..............

If they still fail to understand..........

BEAT THEM OVER THE HEAD WITH THE LAPTOP.

Walk out leaving them with a dell d820 (or whatever) as a necklace...

IT Stands for Incredibly Stupid Twats

My brother works in IT, i dont talk to him much!

:nodi:

Alaric:

There is one more possibility. If you are still have full administrative access to your own laptop (hope your IT people did not take that) you can create a local user account for yourself. Most likely, when you login locally, the security settings will not be overwritten by the domain and you would be able to change the IP address and whatever else you need.

But all this is not as much technical but rather a political problem. The point is: does the company need you to do your job or not? It all depends on this. I am sorry to say this but one shouldn't allow them to tell you what tools you need in order to do your work in the most effective manner. After all, you don't need administrative access to company servers or anything like that - all you need is to be able to change the IP address the way you see fit.

We have had a similar issue with our IT guys. After bugging some pretty big bosses, we agreed upon having a range of IP addresses in each facility to be used for automation systems only. Those ranges were excluded from all the DHCP servers once and for all.

Of course I can assign an IP address that is already being used on the network and create a lot of mess for everyone. But I am an engineer and in that capacity a lot of things I do are based on trust.

LadderLogic said:
But all this is not as much technical but rather a political problem.
Bingo. IT sees it as something they need to control, you know you have a job to do and your laptop is a tool to do it. You should have someone in the organization that can support you in this.

My IP Story goes like this,

No admin rights on the laptop initially - so unable to change IP.

Then some needs arise on the line with a DVT vision system

Approach the IT guy, he says no.

- I replied "good, let the machine reject good parts".

OK, I'll give it to you to settle this issue, how long does it take to solve this?

- I replied, maybe 1/2 hr.

OK, call me when you are done.

15 min later I rang him up. I'm done, thankyou.

He came down and removed the rights.

I waited another 1/2 hr. Bugged him again, "Buddy, sorry to say the need arise again, it is not perfect yet."

After a small commotion over the phone, he came down and granted me the rights again. So nice!

After 1 hr. I settled with it temporarily.

2 hours passed, Guess what happened?

More than 2 years passed, I still enjoy the administrative rights.

It's give and take...

As a control engineer or technician, one SHOULD have local (not domain) administrative access to their field laptop. You may need to install software, patches, or change settings on the laptop for troubleshooting. I work in a plant, and our IT department sees the value in this. We minimize their rudamentary IT support calls by having local administrative access to our laptops.

The static IP address topic? Well, one reason for having a static IP address is when you need to enter your IP address into a routing table of a PLC to get across to another network. For example with an Allen Bradley 5/05, you need to have your IP address in the processor's routing table to be able to drill down to a DH-485 network out the other port on the processor. If you are setup DHCP, this can be tough. Our workstations, not our laptops, are setup DHCP on the office side of our network. We got around the DHCP renewal by having our IT department set our workstation DHCP leases to never expire. This means our IP address is DHCP, but never changes. This was a good compromise for our office workstations.

I do understand the drive for IT to control the IP addresses on a laptop. The main reason is duplicate IP's on the network. We have had a couple of instances where we had duplicate IP's on our network and caused network downtime. DHCP would have avoided this.

I understand both sides of the battle...

Greg

Imagine if your company issued you an adjustable wrench but locked it at 15mm and forbade you from adjusting it.

IT's fiat is probably designed to make IT's job easier, but it doesn't serve the campany's best interest if it makes your job harder. Reasonable people ought to be able to find common ground

Amazing that this seems to be a common problem at most firms. Luckily, the bloke that ran IT at our place was me best mate and managed to convince him that the laptop needed full administrative rights or I wouldn't be able to do my job. The rights were granted on the proviso that it would not be accepted on the company office network, which suits me fine as I have another PC for that access and I transfer files across with USB sticks.

I think the problem lies with the fact that IT think because they are the computer types in the company that they automatically know everything about all software. However, show our administrators the ins and outs of SCADA applications or PLC Software and all the other drivers and they soon turn green.

Cheers,

Lee

Kill the guy from IT :).
Your laptop is your toolbox.
Or are the toolboxes from the guys in your workshop also padlocked?