Jig for building control panels

I worked as a Project Engineer designing enclosures. We would CAD everything up, measurements were known and precise. The shop guys would get the prints once approved and manufacture. The biggest thing was getting the enclosure depth correct so that the door would close without contacting components (buttons, HMI's, DIN rail, Class 1 Div 2 window kits all mounted in door). Also, the AC and DC duct separate. Component layout should be quite standardized so that you keep stamping out the same or similar panel over and over.
As for mounting the back panel, shop guys would use a crane or fork her in. Get in touch with the Hoffman Sales Rep, it's his/her job to guide you.

I just bought a couple of these, makes it easier. About $600 new, but I found some used for $100 each at a liquidation sale.
PG381.jpg

When you are done, this makes it a LOT easier to get the back pan into the enclosure too.

We used a big roll of grid paper, then printed and cut out full size paper templates of all of the footprints of the devices we were using that showed not just the size, but also center lines for any mounting holes. Put that grid paper onto the back panel with magnets, then place and move all of the component templates around using magnets too. When you finalize your layout, use little sticky dots or tape to fix the templates in place, then center punch right through the paper into the steel. Remove the grid paper and put it next to the panel, then use the wipe-board type pens to write the drill hole sizes next to each center punch mark. Drill/tap them all at once and set the panel on the lift to start assembling and wiring. Save the grid paper template if there are repeat projects.

Last edited: