Jimmy Jam

jantoine

The Mitsubishi FRA520 frequency inverter: I have the P 5 set to default 30 Hz and the low speed P 6 set to 10(HZ) which kicks in after hitting the first slow down prox on travel to a stop prox 4in down. Accel/Decel are 1s/.5s. Now all of a sudden the sled will not advance more than an inch beyond the slow down prox? This combination has worked for the 4 years prior to my employment with no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks, JJ

Let me add; I tried to move the sled in manual, but cannot advance beyond the slow down prox more than about an inch.

Investigated. No apparent bind. Possibly motor brake? Maybe dynamic brake too strong. Also, if the unit has gone bad, could this behavior be typical? Can one selective parameter go bad?

Dynamic braking should not be active if the drive is running. It should only limit high DC bus volts.

If there is a mechanical brake on the motor, definitely rule that out first. Those things are usually designed to get tighter and tighter as they wear...

What is the output current during this apparent stall condition? I would expect it to be too high.

Drive parameters don't go bad, but fat-fingers can be bad...perhaps something was changed inadvertently?

Motors can get weak over time, insulation can break down, mechanical systems can gradually degrade.

Is the drive running in sensorless vector mode?

I would record all the relevant parameters and try auto tuning it to see if it helps.

I recently had to troubleshoot a similar problem with a similar drive and nothing seemed to help.

Finally we found a pneumatic actuated bar that was causing interference that you could not see under normal conditions, and it was retracted during our first inspections. One of the guys manually operated the solenoid valve and found the bar installed backerdz...

But in your case, watch the motor current, investigate the control method (open loop vs. vector), and try autotuning if running in vector mode.