kinda OT.........UNIVERSAL INLINE SURGE PROTECTOR

XtremeIN

Hello all,
As the title says I am looking for some information on some inline 110 VAC surge protectors. Something that is compact in size and can be mounted inside of a control box. I did a Google search and did not have much luck. I looked on Newark In Ones site nd found three of them....all out of stock. When I clicked on the mfg's link it went to a site about fishing......

Thanks in dvanced for the help.
Micheal

Thanks for the info Leadfoot. This is was I found, http://news.thomasnet.com/images/large/013/13175.jpg.
The issue we are having is that we are losing the programs on AVG HMI's. This happens during/after storms and power outages. A coworked feels the cause is power surgess and suggested looking tino surge protectors. So, here I am. I am also looking into flash memory cards.

Micheal

Maybe a bit of an overkill, but you might want to look at an UPS in addition to the Surge Suppressor. That way it will still have power on the HMI incase of an outage. We have these on a few machines that have HMI's, VersaView, but that is mainly for the computer end of it.

XtremeIN said:
... we are losing the programs on AVG HMI's. This happens during/after storms and power outages... Micheal
The HMI's should be on a dedicated 24DC supply. Make sure it isn't tied to anything else. A Surge Suppressor isn't going to do the job. As suggested, use a UPS if the dedicated supply doesn't help.

I would definately get the flash card and a UPS. If you are truly losing your program due to lightning, a surge arrestor will NOT do you any good. TVSS units are OK when you have noisy power. Sola transformers are much better for noise immunity.

www.apc.com is a good source for small inexpensive UPS devices. Office depot carries them and actually puts them on sale routinely. You do not need a big one and they do SSSSSOOOOOO much better than surge suppressors.

Something that is compact in size and can be mounted inside of a control box.
It sounds like a MOV would be a good solution. These metal-oxide varistors were developed by GE as surge arrestors, but the company was sold to Harris Semiconductor, then to Littelfuse. I installed two large GE MOV's on the incoming power line to my house. The transformer once shorted out and burned off the pole, but no electrical devices were damaged in the house.

http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi/en/prod_type_family.html?TechnologyID=1&LFSESSION=2SWldYXj49
http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r...TechnologyID=1&Family=63&LFSESSION=2SWldYXj49

Last edited: