Kinetix 5500 Firmware upgrade.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I want to upgrade the firmware of some Kinetix 5500 drives.
They are currently Version 2.008, and I wanted to go up to Version 7.014.

When I go to the Rockwell website, I run into the situation in the attached screenshot.
Questions:
1) Why Logix Designer versions 33 and up don't have the green check for the Kinetix firmware?
2) Why some versions like 32.03.01 have a red triangle?
3) FYI, I'm using Logix Designer V34.12, so I am not supposed to be able to download the firmware file?

Kinetix Firmware V7.014.png

Hi all,
I want to upgrade the firmware of some Kinetix 5500 drives.
They are currently Version 2.008, and I wanted to go up to Version 7.014.

When I go to the Rockwell website, I run into the situation in the attached screenshot.
Questions:
1) Why Logix Designer versions 33 and up don't have the green check for the Kinetix firmware?
2) Why some versions like 32.03.01 have a red triangle?
3) FYI, I'm using Logix Designer V34.12, so I am not supposed to be able to download the firmware file?

red triangle means there were bugs that were fixed, and you shouldn't use that version if you can avoid it.

gray is the last known good revision, but is no longer the most up to date.

green triangle is the most up to date.

Rockwells green checks just indicate that they have confirmed complete compatibility. Just because something doesn't have a check doesn't mean it isn't comaptible, it just means if you have problems with it, then they may just say to use a different firmware that they can confirm it works with for sure.

Thank you for the clarification!
I'm wondering why the newer versions of Studio 5000 wouldn't be totally compatible with the newest Kinetix firmware version.

Thank you for the clarification!
I'm wondering why the newer versions of Studio 5000 wouldn't be totally compatible with the newest Kinetix firmware version.

It's not that they aren't compatible, it's that it hasn't been 100% confirmed on their side. I couldn't say for sure either, but they may have found some questionable things that occur when using that specific firmware, I've found some pretty bad bugs on powerflex 755 drives with the newest firmware and have had to downgrade them. It's just the way things go, test out what you need and if it works it works.

It's not that they aren't compatible, it's that it hasn't been 100% confirmed on their side. I couldn't say for sure either, but they may have found some questionable things that occur when using that specific firmware, I've found some pretty bad bugs on powerflex 755 drives with the newest firmware and have had to downgrade them. It's just the way things go, test out what you need and if it works it works.
I understand, thanks!