Kinetix 5700 Clock Sync Fault

Sickify

Good Evening,

Hoping you guys can offer some tips to troubleshoot this issue.

We have 4 new pieces of equipment that we are experiencing clock sync faults with.

Each new piece has 4 Kinetix 5700 servo drives connected to a 1769-L33ERM processor through an N-Tron 716TX switch. These switches are connected through a network switch to a larger group of equipment.

The larger group consists of several more 1769-L33ERM processors, 4 Guardlogix processors, an old V16 ControlLogix processor etc.

The new equipment we are experiencing the clock sync faults with all have 4 motion groups for the servo's, the 4 guardlogix processors also have a single motion group each. There is one older V20 Compactlogix processor with 4 motion groups.

We have set the Grandmaster for the clock sync to one of the new 1769-L33ERM processors that has 4 connected Kinetix 5700's. The fallbacks are the other new pieces of equipment.

What we are experiencing is random clock sync faults, that affect all 4 new pieces of equipment at the exact same time. The other pieces of equipment that use the new equipment as the grandmaster do not fault.

We have tried putting in a switch at the top of the network topology that supports ptp, that didn't make a difference. We also tried setting the priority of one of the new pieces of equipment to 0, making it the undisputable grand master, and still saw it faulting with the others. Our last attempt was on the number 1 piece of equipment to wire all the servo's to port A2 and daisy chain the servo's rather than have them go through the N-Tron switch. Same result.

Trending the average clock jitter and average time from drive to controller in the grandmaster clock plc to its servo's, when the fault occurs we see that the jitter trend completely drops out, and the average time from drive to controller hits a value of 12,000. The same result is seen on each PLC from the new equipment. The old equipment that looks at the new for grandmaster does not skip a beat.

The faults are occuring multiple times per day, but we can run for 4 hours without a fault, then get two within a 1 minute span. Or run for 2 hours, then get two faults within a 5 minute span. Or today run for around 4 hours without a fault, then start experiencing them with varying frequency every couple minutes.
At other times a full 8 hour shift can go by without a single fault.