Kinetix 6000 to 5700

VulcPAC

Hello everyone:

I am looking at the possibility of migrating Kinetix 6000 to Kinetix 5700(460V 3 phase). Reviewing the drive catalog, I have the following question. The minimum power for single axis drives is 43 Amps, for lower power there are only dual axis. Does this mean that I'm "forced" to use dual axis?

For example, if I need to replace 2 drives 2094-BM02-S (AM, 15 Amps), the closest K5700 is 2198-D057-ERS3 (Dual Axis, 23 Amps). This means that with just one K5700 drive I can control both servomotors individually?

What are the considerations (for example room in cabinet?) that must be taken to define whether the drive is going to be used as single or dual axis?

Thank you

Yes you can control each axis independently. And mounting specifics should be the same regardless of using 1 axis or both. And if you don't need the second axis, it acts a backup if you happen to have the first one fail. So you dont have to use the second if you dont need it. :)

We actually use both series of drives, and I much prefer the 5700s over the 6000s for the cabinet saving feature and the integrated CIP Safety feature

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, it helps a lot.
Do you know what is the difference between using axis module (AM) and inverter axis module (IAM) in the Kinetix 6000?

Thanks

While I have seen the term "inverter" used in the context of the K600 IAMs I usually think of the "I" to mean "integrated" (Integrated Axis Module).

The IAM is a combination converter/inverter. It will accept a mains supply and convert that to a DC bus and will act as a power supply to a group of other K6000 AMs, which DO NOT have mains connection capability. You will typically have an IAM at the far left of a K6000 axis group followed by a group of AMs.

The K5700 family does not have an equivalent. They have chosen to completely separate the infeed power supply and axis control functions. So if you were doing a part-for-part replacement of a K6000 system with an equivalent K5700 system, you would have to size a power supply based on the converter capacity of the IAM in the group then provide a drive point for the "axis module" function of the IAM plus a drive point for each AM in the group.

I am not necessarily suggesting you do this because K5700 allows larger "rack" constructions than the K6000 did. So there is likely a better layout you could come up with if, for example, you have two K6000 groups in the same enclosure that you were replacing. You may be able to do that with one K5700 power supply and all the drives connected to that if the design and process allow.

Keith

Thanks dude, a very explanatory answer. Finally I designed the upgrade with Integrated architecture builder, replacing the first IAM with a power source+Kinetix 5700 and the others AMs with the corresponding replcement in K5700 (according to migration guidelines)

Thanks