Kinetix 6000 Homing Loss

cb423

We have two similar pieces of equipment, one of them uses a Kinetix 6000 for an axis and the other uses a Kinetix 350.

When power is removed from the machine, the Kinetix 350 will start back just fine as it never loses its HomedStatus bit (a condition required for the axis to run in the PLC logic). The Kinetix 6000 does not start back fine after power loss, it loses its HomedStatus bit and thus will need to be rehomed before it can operate normally again, which is difficult to do in the middle of the process.

The axes were previously set up as an Active, Switch home. I have converted them over to a Passive, Switch home with the intention of removing the HomedStatus check in the PLC and incorporating the passive home into the machine sequence since the Axis will always return to home at the end of the process. My thought process is that since this is an absolute encoder, I should still be okay to allow the machine to complete its process even if power is lost. I can then have the logic that issues a MAH if HomedStatus is lost and whenever the machine gets back to its home during the normal sequence the MAH will complete.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does this seem like a good strategy to fix the problem or is there a better way to go about this?
  2. If I go forward with removing the HomedStatus check, is there anything I should be checking in place of this?