KTP400 HMI Not Seeing PLC

cmaag02

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum but it's helped me in the past and hopefully it will help me now. I'm trying to get a first generation KTP400 basic mono PN (6AV66470AA113AX0) to communicate to an S7-1200 (1214C DC/DC/RLY 6ES72141HG400XB0). I can fully download to and go online with both components, but the HMI will not communicate with the PLC for some reason. The panel which the HMI was in had its power cycled and on startup the HMI displayed a black screen. It was sent to us, and after waiting for a few hours/power cycling a few times, I get it to boot, but it just waited on the loading screen and wouldn't respond. A while later and with some more power cycles it started working. It fully works and responds now besides no communication between the PLC and HMI. I've already factory reset the panel as well, to no avail. The PLC is different than the one in the panel, a few years newer which we use for testing, but the program ported over without errors. I don't have much Siemens experience, so any help would be appreciated.

Update on this, found some things out. I created a new project to test, and the HMI can communicate with the PLC, but I can't get it to communicate with the actual project. The original PLC was a 1212C DC/DC/RLY (6ES72121HE310XB0) with an additional expansion module (6ES72231PH320XB0). Original project version was v12, working on it in v17 now because the PLC I have isn't on v12.

This is sounding like your HMI is dying. On startup it should show a loading screen and then either a menu or the root screen.

I assume you've downloaded to the HMI if you've factory reset it, so it should have the correct setup for your project.
In your project, check that the correct PLC is listed under the connections page on the HMI and check there's a profinet connection on the devices & networks page for the whole project.
Also, check your cable! The last time I had a HMI lose communication it was because I'd made a mistake when terminating the cable.

It does show a loading screen and then the boot menu, and the PLC is listed under the HMI's connections page and they're connected on the network page. I also don't think it could be the cable because I got another project to work. It seems like I'm missing some kind of setting to allow them to communicate, but unsure of what.

It didn't show any issues. I decided to try adding a new HMI to the project and copying over all the screens. On compiling the new HMI it gave me a lot of errors for tags, they were trying to look at the HMI tag database. After going through and fixing those, and downloading, it worked. Unsure of why it wasn't working originally, but at least it's not fully broken yet.

The KTP400 is OK.
The issue were with the original TIA project.
TIA V12 is quite old. There have been many bugfixes.
Upgrading it from V12 to V17 and doing the 'compile all software' has cleaned up the project, and it will be OK from now on.