KTY-83 motor temperature sensor

aand74

We are doing a retrofit of a machine where Lenze servodrives are replaced with Siemens. However the Lenze servomotors are retained.
One of the problems we are facing is that the thermal sensor of the Lenze servomotors is KTY83, while the Siemens servodrives only allow KTY84 or PTC.
I am looking for a lowcost solution to evaluate the motor temperature.
A digital contact that signals overtemperature would be ok.
I only found one module : ABB C512-C513.
But I would like to know if anyone has experience with a same situation : read a KTY83 sensor and evaluate for overtemperature (if it is not connectable to the drive directly).

We are doing a retrofit of a machine where Lenze servodrives are replaced with Siemens. However the Lenze servomotors are retained.
One of the problems we are facing is that the thermal sensor of the Lenze servomotors is KTY83, while the Siemens servodrives only allow KTY84 or PTC.
I am looking for a lowcost solution to evaluate the motor temperature.
A digital contact that signals overtemperature would be ok.
I only found one module : ABB C512-C513.
But I would like to know if anyone has experience with a same situation : read a KTY83 sensor and evaluate for overtemperature (if it is not connectable to the drive directly).

WAGO's 857-820 will convert a KTY to an analog value...then any good analog alarm module will give you the contact closure.

Choose the temperature limit and adapt that resistance value by putting a suited resistor in series (or parallell)?

Edit: Might be unwise because of wrong temp in motor model calculations.

Or connect to the PLC with a card a la this:
https://cache.industry.siemens.com/...4xrtd_tc_2_3_4_wire_hf_manual_en-US_en-US.pdf

Kalle

Why should putting a suited resistor in series or parallel give wrong temperature model in motor model calculations?
Isn't it just some kind of scaling of the value towards the right value?
I am more and more thinking in the direction of the extra resistor.

If you can use the resistance solely as a protecting switch limit in the drive, you should be OK.

But I assume - not knowing - that if the drive has got an kty connected, it will be using the temp in the motor model calc.

If you manipulate a resistor like that, the curves will not be like the cuves from a real kty. The curves wil cross in the point you select - and the temp will show wrong values except in that particular point.

But it could still be worth a try ...

Kalle

Has anybody specific experience on applying motor temperature measurement and motor thermal model on Siemens Sinamics S120?
I should like to know if temperature measurement and motor thermal model have influence on motor regulation (current controller, torque controller) besides off course the warning and alarm message for overtemperature?