L32e and PLC 5 message instruction?

AllanJacobs

I have setup an instruction up between CNTL logix and PLC5's before but this has me stumped. i have a L32E v20 plc and a 5/40E ser C rev J. I am try to do a PLC5 Type read from the PLC 5.
path; LocalENB, 2, 10.103.104.170
the ip and mask are on the same sceme
is it the version of PLC5 or something else?

I don't think you need the ,1,0 on the end of the path.
Also if your reading an N file be sure your Logix array is INT not DINT. F to Real is fine.

It's the revision of the PLC-5E that's the problem.

The original PLC-5/250 and PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 controllers all used a proprietary Allen-Bradley Ethernet protocol for data table reads/writes and program upload/download. It was called "Allen-Bradley Ethernet Client/Server Protocol v4", or just "CSP".

When the ControlLogix came out with its very different tag database and object-based Control and Information Protocol (CIP) communication system, the PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 got retrofitted to support a limited set of the new protocol, mostly for data table access.

The necessary revisions of the PLC-5E to communicate using MSG instructions with a ControlLogix are listed in RA Knowledgebase Article ID 7983 (Access Level: Everyone).

For the PLC-5E Series C hardware, the controller must be upgraded to version N.1 or higher.

0001 and extended 0000_0204

That 0x0204 error code means that the ControlLogix is failing to establish a CIP connection to the target device. Which makes sense; the ControlLogix is saying "Hey, how about a CIP transaction ?" and the PLC-5E is responding "
Nie mówię po angielsku."

About that "1,0" at the end; it doesn't hurt, but it's not necessary. A PLC-5E or SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100/1400 controller is the endpoint of the message and will accept either no Port/Slot path field, or a "1,0" Port/Slot path field.

Path of the Ethernet card of ur contrologix processor might 1. coz u will be having processor on 0th slot and Ethernet card on 1st slot. So try LocalENB, 1, 10.103.104.170

The name of your ET net work (LocalENB) should be exactly same on the RSLINX Tree while u browse where u do settings.

Thank Guys, Ken, I felt that that was my issue I just could not find the answer in my searches, I remember back when I started messaging PLC5 I had to upgrade many of them but I thought it was only when I was communicating with Power flexes over Ethernet. Thank You!