L36erm

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
I cant get my L36ERM to recognize any expansion I/O (1769). Is this a processor revision issue. I had to update firmware on the processor ,when it asked for the update it only let me install 20 and up.

L36ERM.jpg 1769_IO.jpg

It's highly unlikely to be a firmware revision issue.

When you say it doesn't recognise it, what do you mean? What is telling you that it's not recognised?

Have you got an end cap on the bus (1769-ECR)?

Where is your power supply in the bus?

The more information and context you can provide, the more useful information you'll get.

The 1769-L36ERM is a member of the CompactLogix "5370" generation of controllers. That family started about 10 years ago, so v20 is the oldest firmware they support. I think they'll run up to the current firmware (v33, I think).

The visible condition of the hardware suggests these controllers aren't new out of the box, so it's certainly possible there are some damaged backplane connectors or other damage to one or more of them. A missing 1769-ECR end cap would also prevent the I/O bus from running correctly.

Does the problem exist with all of the CPUs you've tried, or only one ?

This definitely isn't a firmware revision problem with the 1769-series I/O modules. I'm not aware of any older 1769 Compact I/O modules that won't work with a modern CompactLogix that has a 1769-style I/O bus.

Ken is correct, up to v33 is supported.

Can you snap a picture of an assembled rack, with the top of the rack in view? (not face but top)

End Cap!

End Cap! Cant believe I missed it! All parts from the trash....lol. Must be a termination resistor in there indicating the end of the rack.

Thank you all very much, my trainer is up and running.

Trainer_Bench.jpg

I was looking at this picture, and somehow didn't grok that all the equipment was on a table; I thought it was all on a board laying on the floor and so was not much closer to the camera than the shoes, and I was thinking, "Wow, those are big PLC modules - or really tiny shoes - I thought modules were much smaller." Then "Wow, that's a big coffee cup - ahhh bucket?" Then, "Wow, that's a big ruler! ... wait a minute ..."

attachment.php

A properly seasoned coffee mug is the sign of a career professional.

One thing I'll mention is that Compact I/O modules are flexible in where you place them with respect to the Power Supply, but you need to account for how much power each type of module draws. You can use the Selection Guide's manual calculations, or use the Integrated Architecture Builder.

I can't see all the labels very clearly, but the color codes and indicators I can see suggest that you have:

1769-IQ16
1769-OB8
[Power Supply Should Go Here]
1769-IR6
1769-OF2
1769-IF4I

My instinct is to put the power supply in between the DC discrete modules and the analog modules, since the analog are more power-hungry and might not work correctly if they are more than 4 positions away from the power supply. A quick plug into the Integrated Architecture Builder agrees; in fact, it complains when you try to put a module 5 slots away from the power supply.

L36ERM_with_IO.PNG

If it makes you feel any better, not having an ECR doesn't *always* prevent things from working. I commissioned half a factory in China once while waiting for the ECR to arrive for my 1769-L36ERM and had no issues at all!

Well, no issues at all related to the missing ECR. There were a few issues with...workmanship...

If it makes you feel any better, not having an ECR doesn't *always* prevent things from working. I commissioned half a factory in China once while waiting for the ECR to arrive for my 1769-L36ERM and had no issues at all!

Well, no issues at all related to the missing ECR. There were a few issues with...workmanship...

I seem to recall a thread in the past couple years of someone mapping out the equivalent circuit diagram of the ECR and putting a resistor and some jumpers across the bus connectors on the last I/O module in their rack while waiting for the ECR they ordered to be delivered. I can't remember if it actually worked or not though.

I seem to recall a thread in the past couple years of someone mapping out the equivalent circuit diagram of the ECR and putting a resistor and some jumpers across the bus connectors on the last I/O module in their rack while waiting for the ECR they ordered to be delivered. I can't remember if it actually worked or not though.
Here it is. We never did get a definitive answer, because the OP didn't have the right resistors, but I'm at least 98% positive I could make it work if I had no other option.