Lab power supply as ASI power supply

Bakkei

I need a power supply for ASI-Bus. Usually we use dedicated modules for this, but we've got no spares right now. Could I use a standard regulated lab power supply or will this fry my slaves?

Configuration is:

Master: IFM Profibus DP-ASI converter
Slaves: Alfa Laval Thinktop

Quick answers are greatly appreciated.

It is my understanding that ASI power supplies put a carrier signal on their output, so using a normal lab supply means the bus won't work.

Hope that helps,
Phill.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the link module that provided the communications for the AS-I bus. The power supply just supplied power to the link module (or master, and the bus, and the devices on the bus.

You have to use didicated ASI-powersupply.
I have tried several normal powersup. and it will not work.
The ASI-powersupply does forward the signals in on the line.

Best regards
Darisuch

Hello Bakkei;
As stated by the earlier posters, a standard 24 V PS will not work for As-i.
To see why, look at the following attachment, extracted from the AS-interface.net technical description (the Academy) of the As-i power supply. Notice hat the initial voltage of the P.S. is 30 V, and that other decoupoling circuits are added which would not be available on regular P.S. units.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

AS-i PS.jpg