LAD, FBD, STL, and other?

Preferred control platform?

• LAD

Votes: 65 70.7%
  • FBD

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • STL

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Other (opto22, C, other proprietary, etc.)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
This was called "Mnemonic Code" when TI sold these processors, TI405. In TISOFT 2.0 you could write and edit in this code. It also was used to convert a 5TI RLL to a TI435 processor. The VPU for a 5TI could output a file in "Symbolic Code" (same thing as mnemonic) then you would run a conversion utility to download into the TI435 that was connected to the old 5TI I/O. I've converted several this way.

I started out in electronics in the late 60's then got into electrical controls that only used relays. So it is burned in reading ladder prints of hardwired systems, mostly locomotives. I had one quarter of FORTRAN and a quarter of machine code a decade later, hated it. I didn't touch a PLC till the early to mid 1980's, very early TI. I mostly program AB now for in house projects.

Our techs only understand RLL; some even have problems with that. It is rather hard in our area to find competent electricians that can be good at more than RLL.

I’ve done some flowchart (OPTO22, don’t like OPTO22 for other reasons) and a bit of Function Block. If it is in RLL then I don’t get calls at home is a quite valid statement. I almost never get calls about my systems. It is usually from another companies design.

Our rolling mills use GE and we have an engineer on site to handle those issues.

geniusintraining said:
Hi Peter,

Here is another version of STL by Automation Direct, I have now idea of why they have it, I don't think you can edit it just view but not even display the RIO, I'm thinking that you may be able to edit something like a CSV then import... I have not tried it yet

The reason I have gone from 60% STL to 40% is the additional PLC's added in the last 5ish years, I have added aprox 30 more none have STL, so in other words no S7's have been added only AD, AB's and Mitsubishi, soon I will get a S7300 :) very soon,

I love learning... or torturing myself :D

other.jpg

Mickey said:
You would if I was your customer. I hate code like that, code thats there and not being used or ask for. To me its the ultimate
in confusion.

Then you had better get a big fat PO cut for custom code work.

As a systems integrator we sit on both sides of the fence.

We 'fix' OEM packages that a customer has bought that come with the generic program and we also write our own when we are the OEM.
OEM is generally 'fixed bid' where cost is a BIG issue.
Integrating alot of the time has to be T&M just because its alot of unknown.

Go ask any OEM how much it would cost to re-write their machine control from AB to Siemens or vice-versa.
It'll be a fortune, mainly because they just DONT want to.
They have spent hundreds or thousands of hours de-bugging and perfecting sometimes extremely complicated code (at THEIR cost, usually) and wouldnt be in business long if they gave customers individual, custom written code for each and every application on a fixed-bid basis.

Its just not feasible.

It doesnt just apply to our industry.

Does ANYONE use all the functionality of Windows?
Do you go and ask Microsft for Windows designed specifically to your standards?
Do you go to Walmart and buy clothes that are perfectly tailored to your size & shape?

Lets be realistic here. If you want something designed just how you want it, either write it yourself or expect to pay big $.