Ladder Logic Help.. PCIS software

grnmon97

I am trying to activate output A when sensor beam input 1 is broken. I have everything wired and programmed correctly so that while beam is in tact there is no output, when beam is broken there is a slight delay (RTO - PR15) so that the part can get to the output and then when the part leaves the sensor and the beam circuit is complete the output shuts off instantly. Problem is after part passes and beam is complete, I need an equal delay to the first delay. I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I ordered a book about a month ago and waiting for it to arrive, but this is driving me crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is the short logic so far...
Sensor 901
[ ] [RTO]
PR0015

901 Output
[ ] ( )

Sensor 901
[/] [RST]

Thanks Again.
Bill

If I understand you correctly, you want to turn on an output 1.5 seconds after the part is first detected by the photo eye. This output will shut off as soon as the part is not longer present in front of the photo eye. Next you want to do something else 1.5 seconds later. You are going to need to use some internal bits (addresses 701-866) to accomplish this on the SLC100.

Do you have the SLC100 self teach manual? You can get it from AB's website at http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1745-um001_-en-p.pdf

| Rung: 001 |
| |
| 001 901 |
+--] [--------------------------------------(RTO)----+
| PR 0015 |
| |
| Rung: 002 |
| |
| 901 011 |
+--] [--------------------------------------( )----+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| Rung: 003 |
| |
| 011 001 902 701 |
++-] [---]\[-+-]\[--------------------------( )----+
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| 701 | |
|+-] [-------+ |
| |
| |
| Rung: 004 |
| |
| 701 902 |
| PR 0015 |
| |
| |
| |
| Rung: 005 |
| |
| 001 901 |
+--]\[--------------------------------------(RST)----+
| RE 0000 |
| |
| Rung: 006 |
| |
| 902 012 |
| |
| |

You will want to work out the reset logic ofr 902 after
it does whatever it is you want it to do.

Bill,

Here is another version, same song and dance. On the last rung 3, the "PROCESS TO UNLATCH 2ND DELAY" represents something you will have to add, that "something" being when whatever you are using the 2nd delay timer is finished.

PART_WAS_SEEN.JPG

I kind of messed up my explanation. The 2nd delay is for the output to stay on after the part has been thru the beam. Purpose for the delays is that parts on a conveyor are sensed by sensor but have a minimal distance to travel before they reach the output (spray head). So when the part is sensed there is a delay for the part to get to the output, then after the part is thru and the beam circuit is complete again, I need that same delay on the back end of the part so that the output will not shut off until the part is completely thru the spray. Thanks for your help, and I will use your programs as more learning material.
Thanks again!
Bill

OK, thats easier. Because the timers in the SLC100 are all retentive then all we need to do is use a second timer to reset both timers.

| |
| 001 901 |
| PR 0015 |
| |
| |
| 901 011 |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| 011 001 902 |
+--] [---]\[--------------------------------(RTO)----+
| PR 0015 |
| |
| |
| 902 901 |
+--] [--------------------------------------(RST)----+
| RE 0000 |
| |
| |
| |
| 902 902 |
| RE 0000 |
| |

Last edited:
Alaric - Worked like a charm! My next step is to have multiple inputs activating multiple outputs with the same result, none dependant on the other. In other words if part is sensed by input sensor 1, output A is activated after the delay. If input sensor 2 senses part, output B is activated, and so on. Outputs 1-XXX can be activated at the same time if the sensor inputs call for it. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
Thanks for your help!
Bill

grnmon97 said:
Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
Bill

If you took the code above and duplicated it again in the next five rungs but changed the IO addresses, you would have another input/output group that behaved exactly the same way as the first. You can repeat this as many tims as needed until you use all of your outputs. Of couse you could make some outputs do entierly different things.

Here's a learning exercise for you: Using the first logic we just established, make a light (output) come on for two seconds after ten parts have been sprayed - then reset and count the next ten.

Alaric - Homework is finished.. Don't know if it is the most efficient, but it worked. I also wrote out the logic for 8 inputs/outputs and it works (in theory - tested with only 3 inputs/outputs, but should be the same with 8 or 100 inputs/outputs. Take a look at the logic below from my homework, and thanks for the challenge. It gave me a grasp on the RTO/CTU/RST commands. Let me know if there is a more efficient way to go about it.

| |
| 001 901 |
+--] [--------------------------------------(CTU)----+
| PR 0010 |
| |
| |
| 001 902 |
| PR 0015 |
| |
| |
| 902 012 |
| |
| |
| |
| 012 001 903 |
+--] [---]\[--------------------------------(RTO)----+
| PR 0015 |
| |
| |
| 903 902 |
| RE 0000 |
| |
| Rung: 006 |
| |
| 901 013 |
| |
| |
| Rung: 007 |
| |
| 903 903 |
| RE 0000 |
| |
| Rung: 008 |
| |
| 907 001 901 |
+--] [---]\[--------------------------------(RST)----+
| PR 0000 |
| |

Thanks.
Bill

Looks OK to me.

Hopefully now you are starting to see some possibilities and different ways of "skinning the cat" so to speak. Welcome to the exciting world of automation.