lan setup

JBooth

I have a lan on 172.16.97.0 subnet, with n-tron 708tx switches. I am wanting to subnet further, breaking this subnet into 8 parts, so I can segregate my bacnet, hmi, plc, Modbus, and switch traffic, and have each subnet on its own vlan. The n-tron switches are layer 2 and use vlan tagging, so they cannot help me with subnetting any further. I was considering putting in a Cisco IE or an AB Stratix switch to handle the routing/subnetting. I am not sure how to do the VLan setup between the IE/Stratix and the N-tron however, since the IE/Stratix do not use tagged vlans, and cannot send multiple vlans unless the port is in trunk mode, and I don't believe the n-tron supports the 802.1Q trunk protocol either. Does anyone know of a way to make this work?

You are mixing a lot of topics together. Subnetting doesn't require any special switch, VLAN does. To have VLAN and different subnet talks to each other, you will need a layer 3 switch or router.

Any old switch will not route traffic unless its need to so i would ask why you feel there's need to separate the traffics when in fact, they are already segregated to a degree by the switches.

172.16.97.0, what's your mask? It doesn't sound like a classful address system so I would use CIDR calculator here

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

increase the number of mask bit to divide the subnet into smaller and smaller increment.

Sorry, i am fairly new to managed networking, still trying to learn how all of this fits together. Using a netmask of /24, so 254 hosts available. I am wanting to further subnet to netmask /27, giving 8 blocks of 30 hosts within this subnet. I was under the impression that to further subnet you needed to assign the subnetted gateway to a vlan. My goal is to limit where broadcasts and multicasts can go, and to get my device types seperated so i can set up acl's for types of equipment, so we can setup vpn access to certain equipment. Not sure if this is the right way to approach this though.