Laptop Backup

Since hard drives are so cheap, I've ghosted the main drive to a back-up drive so that I've have an instantaneous plug-in replacement.

Just one caution - if you clone a drive , rather than making backup images of it , never allow the two drives to run at the same time as windows does nasty things when it detects two identical MBR's

Better not to clone unless you have to - just make an image file - even if the destination drive (assuming you install a new one) is bigger or smaller , so long as the source can fit , then Ghost will resize to fit the free space - USB hard drives are do cheap that you can always make sure you have a full back up of your hard drive with you at any time .

The Laptop only has 12gb. So what I plan on doing is coping an image to a folder on my PC that can be retreived if there's a problem.

I'm not sure why she's sending it back, it seems to work fine...

This is nuts....

I download and install Ghost on MY PC, When I go to run it, I find out it only works on LOCAL drives, and not networked drives. IOW, I cant see select the laptop drive in the Ghost Wizard....

Now what???

I dont use any norton products anymore after much frustation with NAV!

Whist the product im going to link you to is a free 30 day trial, its not as sophistacated as ghost as in it doesnt clone a HDD, just backs up all usefull information.

Try out http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbm/download.html

Im not on a network at the moment but i have just looked in the genies backup options and it sees the network icon so i suspect as long as the directories you want to back up are share enabled then youll have no problems.

It appears I'm back to Zero... Totally unmentioned in the docs, it's apparent that Ghost will not backup or image other drives on the network.

Back to copying.. Even though I share the drive in the laptop, I still cant copy the personal documents & settings "Access Denied". What do I have to do so I can share, or lift the security on ALL files & folders?

Mike install GHOST on her computer than create the image file and store it where you want, if there is a network drive available then you should be able to store it there...I think.

NOTE: The trial version will not do Drive Copy.

If the laptop has a cd writer it can be put on multiple cd's.

Last edited:
Mike , run GHOST on her PC (does it have a partition at all?) , and save the image to your PC , if her PC has a partition , then save the image there . Just because the partition is 11 gig , doesn't mean the image will be . Her PC is the PC that will shut down and restart in PC DOS , restore network connections , and save the images.

Must be an echo !! beat me to it Ron ! - I prefer not to mess with the network bit - though of course it does work , much better to use a cheap external hard drive , or space on a partition .

Mike,

Ghost runs under DOS not Windoze. Networks may not be available to you.

Shame you can't just Firewire the dang thing direct connect to your machine.

I feel your pain brother. With 2 Macs and a Winders box I have no network. File exchanges are a B!

Rod

Well what I did while you guys were posting..was install the backup utility on HER laptop, then started a full backup to my PC. Now the backup file size seems to be correct.. We'll see..

If that dosnt work out I'll install Ghost on the laptop.

If that dosnt work out I'll throw the damn thing out the window..

The guys are correct; Ghost needs to be on her computer for you be able to use it.

The version of Ghost I use is 2003 and I know that it will allow you to dump an image to a mapped drive on a WINDOWS server (don't know about workstation); it will not work with a linux server or Snap server, etc.... It will allow you to write directly to CD or DVD or an external USB hard drvie.

The easiest for you will be an external hard drive or CD/DVD. Networking can be a royal pain in the a..

-EDIT-

You beat me to it; looks like you're on the right track now.