Laptop Backup

they can be if you read the instructions and allow ghost to load the drivers , yep , just checked again , it is under mapped network drives in advanced options , you can specify an an ip address or use dhcp .

It is all there if you look !!

10BaseT,

I looked. There's no documented indication that Ghost must be run on the PC being backed up, except for the lack of options to do anything else..Not so clear to someone new to it.. However I did see that you can save the image to a network drive, but not the other way around.

I'll know more in a few hours..

There is Mike , read it again - the PC being backed up must be shut down and restarted in PC dos mode , then there are no active services , no swap file , no possible sharing violations , nice and easy , I promise you , it really does work , but like everything else , take your time , otherwise you will make a cobblers of it -

By the same token , obviously you can't save the image to the partition being backed up , otherwise it would disappear up its own SCSI - but this is self explanatory .

If you have a basic knowledge of the way windows and dos works , the you will get ghost to run with no problems .

The only caveat being that you be very careful if you try and ghost a RAID setup - you need to know how to break the mirror , or all sorts of terrible things happen.

Do also remember that if you ghost a drive with a virus , the of course the virus will be restored if you restore the backup . I tend to instal windows , all of my PLC software , MS office , then ghost the drive so I have a clean backup ready to restore.

I use Ghost on an almost daily basis and I agree that Ghost 2003 is the way to go. The new version, Ghost 10.0 is nowhere near as good. It's actually an entirely different product under the hood.

With Ghost 2003 I regularly:

• Backup one partition to an image file on a separate partition on the same hdd
  • Backup one partition to an image file on a separate drive on the same PC
  • Backup a drive/partition to an image file on another PC via TCP/IP (I don't do this as often as I used to)
  • Backup a drive/partition to an image on a CD or DVD
It is also possible to backup to another computer or an external drive using USB but I find it to be too slow. An external firewire drive should also be possible.

I use Ghost regularly on work PCs to get them back to a default state. I use it on my home PCs as a backup. The work PCs are exclusively notebooks.

I keep a "default" WinXP install ready to go so I can reimage my home PC when things get bogged down. All my data is on a separate drive so reimaging is a breeze. I actually just did this last weekend. Whats nice also is that any trials that have expired or available again!

OG

* disclaimer * I do NOT own Symantec stock and am in no way affiliated with them. I use Ghost but none of their other bloated s/w.

Ghost Explorer

Hi,

I downloded a free trial of Norton Ghost 10.0 from Symantec site and made a backup of my C drive (aprox 30GByte) using an external USB HDD.
I understand that there is a Ghost Explorer to explore the backup file but I don't find it when I run the Ghost 10.0.
Is there a separate Ghost Explorer tool?.Where can I download it?

Shaul

Ghost 10.0 seems pretty limited (regarding backup). It must be installed on the PC your backing up, but you can place the image on another PC on the network. It seems to be limited to backing up & restoring the entire drive, nothing more & nothing less. BTW..As it turns out we already have Ghost... Should have checked...

What the real deal is (just found out last night); her employer sent her a new laptop, and she needed to get her email, presentations..etc.. off the old laptop before returning it.

I installed MS Backup on the Laptop, and backed up to a file on my PC. She now has the files she needs to secure, so it's done.

Thanks for all the replys.

Just as well you did , 'cos if she is running XP then the clone wouldn't have worked anyway on the new laptop .

Can't comment on Ghost 10 , but 2003 does just what it is supposed to.

Norton ghost

Hello to you guys talking about disk backup.

I am wondering, you were talking about doing backup with s7 on the disk.

If you can take a copy of a disk with s7 license on it, will the license be valid on the new disk....if so, can you retrieve the license on the new disk...

If that is possible, then I suppose I can duplicate my Siemens license. Sounds to good to be true ???

Cheers !!