Laptop recommendations

dploof23

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my old laptop and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a newer machine that has or could have a real serial port and a PCMCIA card slot also.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,

-Dave

I'd almost give up on the hope of a serial port and PCMCIA slot. Here is my personal opinion. Keep in mind I'm an AB/Rockwell guy, not sure your software requirements:

1) Get a machine that meets the size requirements (screen and weight)
2) Get it with 8 gigs of RAM or more. If it doesn't come with it, then buy it separate rather than from the manufacturer (usually way cheaper)
3) Get it with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
4) Install the software that is compatible with W7 64 bit with the exception of FactoryTalk View Studio (if you use it). Install FTVS in a virtual environment.

Get all of your cables here:
http://ind-concepts.com/

I recommend the "Industrial USB-Serial adapter W7 Compatible" for $30. Most people will probably recommend the Keyspan.

Its been about 3 years since we bought a new laptop(s), and we were worried about getting a real serial port.

For us, we just contacted Dell via their website and asked if they had a laptop with a real serial port available - they did, it was a Dell Latitude E5500 (I think)..

The serial port should be fairly easy to find through Dell, or using a USB to Serial adapter (I have the keyspan (Now Tripp-lite) USA-19HS and it works geat).

I contacted Dell last week about the PCMCIA slot and they said the last model to have it available was the E5520 which jus went end of life and is no longer available.

What PLCs and protocols absolutely require a real serial port nowadays ?
The most that I know of either have a dedicated USB adapter, or the legacy adapter will work with a plain USB-to-serial cable.

I think that you are probably on a snipe hunt for something with a PCMCIA slot, but serial ports (real ones) are still alive and well. I replaced three different laptops that were dying with a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 about a year ago, and couldn't be happier. I got it with both XP and Win7 Pro (probably just Win7 now, but it does still have the XP drivers). I run AB/Rockwell, GE ME, Triconex Tristation and a number of other legacy applications that all seem to play together nicely. http://panasonic.com/business/toughbook/semi-rugged-laptop-toughbook-52.asp

Got mine from CDW.

I'll add my support to the Panasonic Toughbook line. We bought three CF-53's this spring and they work great. Not the best battery life though. They have serial, PCMCIA and Express card slots, plenty of USB and one USB3. We did stick with XP just to keep corporate IT happy.

I used to be a hardcore supporter of the "D" series Latitude laptops from Dell. Held up great, and and worked flawlessly. I usually got the service upgrade, so if I did drop it, it was covered by dell. Now we have two "E" series, and I am less impressed (E5500 and E6500).

One thing I have noticed is that the touchpad has some issues with sensitivity, especially when connecting to an external device through serial, usb, or Ethernet (it is essentially unusable). On the E5500 I opted to not get the TouchStick (big mistake). As I was chatting with service about the hard drive that went bad, I mentioned the mouse. They said they would replace the motherboard... Ok, I also bought a new Keyboard with the touch stick to install as well (small lack of confidence in the motherboard diagnostic). Ever since the Serial port does not work, (cannot recognize device, Dell tried sending me drivers, but they only crashed the system) I have since given up on the integrated serial, and use a USB adaptor, because the original port was flush, and did not work with all serial connectors.

So after that little rant (Sorry) I have been lightly shopping for what our next laptops will be. I like the idea of the tough-books, but by their nature, they are not going to be the latest hardware available; and for the cost, I can upgrade my laptop in half the time. Normally after 3 - 4 years, I'm ready for an upgrade anyway.

I know you probably don't want to reinvest in things you have in PCMIA form, but limiting yourself to that will take a whole bunch of great laptops off the table. Whatever you need, exists in USB form.

Dell Latitudes are pretty good laptops. Good quality construction. You can also order a expansion "dock" thingy that gives you serial and some extra USB ports.

I just got a USB to serial converter though, way more convenient.

Also, I find it a lot easier to have all my specialty software (PLC/HMI programming etc) sit in individual virtual machines.

I got the Toughbook model CF 52 SLCBUDE with Windows 7 pro 64 bit.
It has WUXGA graphics (1900 x 1200).
It was expensive but I really like it.
I am thinking of buying a second one.
I always like to keep a few laptops up to speed for insurance.
I was working on a project recently and had 3 laptops set up at different jobs on the line.
Certainly makes commissioning easier.

Cf-52

Here here on the CF-52. I had an HP for several years and went thru 4 or 5 HDD just from the vibration of riding around in my service truck. The Toughbooks have a "gel" tray around the drive and I have had ZERO problems over the last 4 years.

Here here on the CF-52. I had an HP for several years and went thru 4 or 5 HDD just from the vibration of riding around in my service truck. The Toughbooks have a "gel" tray around the drive and I have had ZERO problems over the last 4 years.
SDD drives is the future are an already economically viable alternative to HDs. I would take a laptop with SSD drive over a toughened laptop with a HD.

I bought a laptop with an SSD, and was showing it off the next day, dropped it facedown on a concrete floor.

Everything worked. That sold me on the SSDs. Look at techbargains, the prices are still .50 per gig, but dropping. Some laptops have a SSD and a hard drive, but I'm not sold on that idea.