Virtualization Laptop Recommendations for running all Rockwell Software VMs

id10t_error

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking to replace my old precision laptop, but so lost on all the new hardware and vendors available today. The rugged laptops I've seen lack the processing power needed to at least run one virtual machine. Would anyone like to share their recommendations or recent purchases? I'm looking at this dell 7760

The Xeon and ECC RAM is a bit on the overkill side, but if you have budget, go for it.
This is assuming that the Xeon is just a bit more cool running than its non Xeon branded i9 sibling, most likely you will get the exact same performance and lower temps with the i7-11850H.

That eBay one is pretty cheap, but you get fewer cores (6vs8), less storage, and not dedicated GPU, even if you rarely need it, if you ever need one, you will regret getting a laptop with an Intel iGPU only, and the display has only 220 nits, for a on the go laptop thats pretty dim if you need to work outside, or even near large windows/openings.

This being a work laptop, grab the 7760, you can reduce the price a bit by going to the i7-11850H, no ECC RAM and using Win 10 Pro, the Pro for workstations is just the same OS, at least it doesn't perform any better on benchmarks, and as all the included **** that other Windows versions have.

Last edited:
I'm looking to replace my old precision laptop, but so lost on all the new hardware and vendors available today. The rugged laptops I've seen lack the processing power needed to at least run one virtual machine. Would anyone like to share their recommendations or recent purchases? I'm looking at this dell 7760

What? With this price, you can get a very good gaming laptop with tons of ports, and good hardware. Extreme high speed processor and fast ram.

The Xeon and ECC RAM is a bit on the overkill side, but if you have budget, go for it.
This is assuming that the Xeon is just a bit more cool running than its non Xeon branded i9 sibling, most likely you will get the exact same performance and lower temps with the i7-11850H.

Xeon is good for graphic design. I used Xeon laptop before, VM did not perform that well.

For $122/$148 I'd get the 4K display. You can always run it in a lower resolution.

Running at lower resolution but pay for the high resolution? I've done that with a MSI laptop, now I feel stupid every time I am using it.
For programming, 1080P/60Hz is good enough, you don't even need to worry about color accuracy. Anti reflection and high brightness would help.
Battery life are similar.

For programming, 1080P/60Hz is good enough
I disagree completely, last 4 laptops have been 4K and I will continue to buy them that way. Perfect for ladder logic in my opinion. And I like the fact that at my desk, I can drive a couple of 4K monitors. But, it is a personal preference.

The additional cost is puny compared to the total cost, its nice to have the option.

...The additional cost is puny compared to the total cost, its nice to have the option.

Yeah when I saw the specs, three things stood out. Xeon seems like overkill. I would probably go with the top i7 or the i9. ECC memory is unnecessary and expensive. Plus ECC memory is generally slower than non-ECC type RAM. Lastly, $122 for an upgrade to 4K would be a no-brainer for me. Even if you are only connecting to 1080P external monitors today, you will be ready for a 4K monitor when the time comes.

The original comment was that you were looking for a machine for running Rockwell VMs. I think the only thing that makes the VMs relevant in selecting any computer is to make sure you have plenty of RAM and storage. Looks like you have the RAM covered. I'm wondering if paying for the three SSD RAID drive setup built-in is worth it over buying a stand-alone NAS. But that certainly depends on your needs. That is a lot of money for 1TB of storage, even if it is RAID 5.

OG

I disagree completely, last 4 laptops have been 4K and I will continue to buy them that way. Perfect for ladder logic in my opinion. And I like the fact that at my desk, I can drive a couple of 4K monitors. But, it is a personal preference.

The additional cost is puny compared to the total cost, its nice to have the option.
We are talking about the laptop screen. You still can drive 4k monitor with a 1080p laptop. It is the graphic cards that maters if you connect to other monitors. When you take a laptop to the plant or out door, reflection and brightness really mater.

If you are programming a full-HD HMI, you will want to have a display bigger than full-HD.
My next is going to be 4K.

We are talking about laptop display. HDMI is number HDMI1 HDMI2.0 HDMI2.1. Some laptop will specs HDMI2.0 4k/30. The GPU matters.
If you have the latest high end GUP and Latest HDMI, you can connect to 4k monitor regardless of your laptop monitor size.

Yeah when I saw the specs, three things stood out. Xeon seems like overkill. I would probably go with the top i7 or the i9. ECC memory is unnecessary and expensive. Plus ECC memory is generally slower than non-ECC type RAM. Lastly, $122 for an upgrade to 4K would be a no-brainer for me. Even if you are only connecting to 1080P external monitors today, you will be ready for a 4K monitor when the time comes.

The original comment was that you were looking for a machine for running Rockwell VMs. I think the only thing that makes the VMs relevant in selecting any computer is to make sure you have plenty of RAM and storage. Looks like you have the RAM covered. I'm wondering if paying for the three SSD RAID drive setup built-in is worth it over buying a stand-alone NAS. But that certainly depends on your needs. That is a lot of money for 1TB of storage, even if it is RAID 5.

OG

The Video out has nothing to do with laptop display. It depends on GPU and Ports. The port could be Thunderbolt, USB-C, HDMI.

We are talking about laptop display. HDMI is number HDMI1 HDMI2.0 HDMI2.1. Some laptop will specs HDMI2.0 4k/30. The GPU matters.
If you have the latest high end GUP and Latest HDMI, you can connect to 4k monitor regardless of your laptop monitor size.
I will moderate my previous statement, that the integrated display should be higher than full-HD. Probably 2.5K will be enough for my purpose.